Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

738 and it's B&S 191700

my 738's engine...i don't know where to begin (i picked it up from my Aunt...that's probably the first problem :) ) ok..here it goes.. 1. oil is seeping between the case halves on the carb side. is it a nightmare to put a new one in? and what special tools might i need? 2. the generator/starter only starts, no reading on the little voltage meter (but i'm not sure if it works at all)...and after mowing for about an hour...i hear a boiling sound coming from it...i'm guessing i'm going to have to have it rebuilt...but my concernn is that the fuse was replaced with a screw...any ideas or suggestions on this one would be appreciated. 3. to fill the tranny...are there any EASY ways of removing the top fill plug???? 4. the 191700...how many HP does it have? B&S 's website doesn't give any details...and is it feasible to replace it with a newer engine? (i just recieved a catalog that has some B&S 11 and 12 HP engines that "look" like they would fit) :) thanks Jacob

Jacob, I'd be more concerned about the boiling sound than the fuse. I recoment you take off the tinwork on the engine and make sure you don't have a couple mice nests in there. If its getting that hot there is a reason, and if not found and corcected you will need a new engine..just my two bits, allow for inflation and take for what its worth..MPH

Engine replacement is not too bad. I just put a 14 Hp Kohler on a 1961 Wards (Simplicity) that originally had a 7.5 Hp. Get back with me via email if you decide to replace and need advice. Rod H.

I've had the tin off many-a-times....it's coming from inside the starter/generator, near the top pully...i'm guessing it's the bearings getting ready to go.