Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Additions to Legacy XL

Alltractoredup

Picked up a glass cab and dozer blade setup today.  Pretty excited about the cab.  What do you guys do for transferring heat to cab?

Dozer blade looks far worse than it is.  Blade was made by previous owner with original as a template. He just did not paint it.

I plane to paint the cab roof Simplicity orange

20191124_093504.jpg

20191124_093511.jpg

20191124_093517.jpg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, CTD01 said:

Nice cab. Thats the early xl cab. It wont work with the loader on unfortunately but still a nice piece! 

It's funny you say that about cab. I looked online and found pics of cab on XL and was happy. However, as you pointed out, I test fit the cab with loader on and no go....that's frustrating that that was not taken into account when designing cab originally.

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, CTD01 said:

Nice cab. Thats the early xl cab. It wont work with the loader on unfortunately but still a nice piece! 

I would have never guessed that.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Alltractoredup said:

It's funny you say that about cab. I looked online and found pics of cab on XL and was happy. However, as you pointed out, I test fit the cab with loader on and no go....that's frustrating that that was not taken into account when designing cab originally.

Yea the later cabs fit with a loader and are also a rops. An easy way to tell an early from a late cab is wiper placement. Wiper on top is early, wiper on bottom is late. There are other differences but thats the easiest one to see. Here is my late cab on my xl.

xl1.jpg

xl2.jpg

xl3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Alltractoredup said:

Well, that cab was not designed for the XL at all.  It is an early legacy (pre-xl) cab.  Simplicity offered an upfit kit with the necessary mounts needed for using this on the XL, but there is no real good way to use it with a loader.  You can ditch the crossbar and cab doors and use the loader in a pinch.  The worst part is removing the dozer, hitch and driveshaft (assuming blower/broom use) to install the loader.  

Was the cab already on an XL?  I would be interested to see the mounts.  I have run the same cab on my XL's for years, and love it.  I have yet to have a moment where I really needed my loader, but I do have the B1 forklift to fall back on for the pallet shuffle work that might pop up.  I had to modify my rear mount and build front mounts in order to transfer my cab from my early legacy to my first XL.  It's actually pretty simple.  

I run a heater with 2-speed fan and it literally will cook you out.  The one benefit of the early cab is a roomier interior.  I placed my heater in the back corner, and it does a couple things.  First, you're closer to the heat so you're warm quicker and can get by wearing less layers.  Second, it pushes the air forward, toward your glass and aids in defrosting.  Lastly, it is permanently mounted to the cab and doesn't have to be unhooked from the cooling lines to remove the front section when opening your hood.

Benefits of the early cab:  

-easier refueling

-more interior room

-less weight for removal and storage

-easier install

Benefits of the XL cab:

-improved wiper

-loader compatibility

-built in ROPS protection

-better resale value

-easier underhood access

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Talntedmrgreen said:

Well, that cab was not designed for the XL at all.  It is an early legacy (pre-xl) cab.  Simplicity offered an upfit kit with the necessary mounts needed for using this on the XL, but there is no real good way to use it with a loader.  You can ditch the crossbar and cab doors and use the loader in a pinch.  The worst part is removing the dozer, hitch and driveshaft (assuming blower/broom use) to install the loader.  

Was the cab already on an XL?  I would be interested to see the mounts.  I have run the same cab on my XL's for years, and love it.  I have yet to have a moment where I really needed my loader, but I do have the B1 forklift to fall back on for the pallet shuffle work that might pop up.  I had to modify my rear mount and build front mounts in order to transfer my cab from my early legacy to my first XL.  It's actually pretty simple.  

I run a heater with 2-speed fan and it literally will cook you out.  The one benefit of the early cab is a roomier interior.  I placed my heater in the back corner, and it does a couple things.  First, you're closer to the heat so you're warm quicker and can get by wearing less layers.  Second, it pushes the air forward, toward your glass and aids in defrosting.  Lastly, it is permanently mounted to the cab and doesn't have to be unhooked from the cooling lines to remove the front section when opening your hood.

-easier refueling

-more interior room

-easier install

Benefits of the XL cab:

-improved wiper

-loader compatibility

-better resale value

-easier underhood access

Previous owner did have it on an XL. I did receive the brackets and hood shroud.  I can get pics soon.  I hope to put in a heater setup too.  Since I dont want to remove my loader, I may install cab on other Legacy for winter duty.  Hard decision since I want to use new tractor for winter duty too...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Alltractoredup said:

Previous owner did have it on an XL. I did receive the brackets and hood shroud.  I can get pics soon.  I hope to put in a heater setup too.  Since I dont want to remove my loader, I may install cab on other Legacy for winter duty.  Hard decision since I want to use new tractor for winter duty too...

Are both machines XL's?  The 4x4 rocks in the snow.  I haven't touched chains in a few years now.  I LOVE it. 

Last year I made up a wiring harness for simple connection of power for my heater blower, front and rear lights, wiper and strobe.  Last week I added quick connects to my machine for the heat.  I previously monkeyed around with hoses, fittings and clamps, and a coolant mess.  

My seasonal cab removal or install will only be the time it takes to turn 4 bolts and drink a PBR now.  The toughest part is hoisting it off.  I used to use a ceiling mount electric hoist and believe I have a solution to implement that again here at the new house.   Otherwise, it is preferably a 3-man lifting job.  I've done it with 2, but the PBR's have to wait until the end.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 8:49 AM, Talntedmrgreen said:

-easier refueling

-more interior room

-easier install

Benefits of the XL cab:

-improved wiper

-loader compatibility

-better resale value

-easier underhood access

Here are two sets of brackets.  The bigger brackets came with cab. The skinnier brackets came off a different Legacy I bought

20191204_184049.jpg

20191204_184057.jpg

20191204_184111.jpg

5 hours ago, Talntedmrgreen said:

Are both machines XL's?  The 4x4 rocks in the snow.  I haven't touched chains in a few years now.  I LOVE it. 

Last year I made up a wiring harness for simple connection of power for my heater blower, front and rear lights, wiper and strobe.  Last week I added quick connects to my machine for the heat.  I previously monkeyed around with hoses, fittings and clamps, and a coolant mess.  

My seasonal cab removal or install will only be the time it takes to turn 4 bolts and drink a PBR now.  The toughest part is hoisting it off.  I used to use a ceiling mount electric hoist and believe I have a solution to implement that again here at the new house.   Otherwise, it is preferably a 3-man lifting job.  I've done it with 2, but the PBR's have to wait until the end.

My other Legacy is 2WD and not XL.  I may still put blower on XL 4wd with cab.  27hp with 2 stage blower would be great.  I would hate to not have loader on and then I need it.

I may put cab on early Legacy and run sweeper with it....I like having choices but this cab thing is frustrating

It is nice that you have both mount sets for each style tractor.  The set on the right is the XL set.  What broom and hitch set ups do you have?  Unless you have a hitch for each machine, the decision would be made for you in my mind.  I would much rather have the cab on a broom machine.  You can always swap quickly between blade and loader on the XL if needed.

I ran an XL broom on my early (quick hitch) style Legacy, but had to add aux hydro to it and build an extended driveshaft and extended hydro lines.  It worked great.  

I feel like I use my loader a lot, but I really don't miss it much during winter.  I use mine to move things with forks mostly...I haven't had the bucket on it in a few years.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Talntedmrgreen said:

It is nice that you have both mount sets for each style tractor.  The set on the right is the XL set.  What broom and hitch set ups do you have?  Unless you have a hitch for each machine, the decision would be made for you in my mind.  I would much rather have the cab on a broom machine.  You can always swap quickly between blade and loader on the XL if needed.

I ran an XL broom on my early (quick hitch) style Legacy, but had to add aux hydro to it and build an extended driveshaft and extended hydro lines.  It worked great.  

I feel like I use my loader a lot, but I really don't miss it much during winter.  I use mine to move things with forks mostly...I haven't had the bucket on it in a few years.  

I have two broom attachments, one for XL and one for early Legacy with correct hitches for each.  Only issue with having cab on XL is I can't take off loader and put it back on later if the cab is still installed.  At least that is my understanding unless I am missing something.  One of my early Legacys has auxilary hydraulics which would be for broom.  I'm thinking my best bet may be to leave loader on XL for now.  I can use my XL broom or dozer blade  if need be.  I know I have a lot of loader stuff to do including making forks.  Broom on Legacy 25 and Blower on Agco 2020.  I hate having the smallest horsepower  engine doing the blowing, but I will see how it does.  I will have a 25 HP Kohler replace the 20 HP Kohler this winter too.  As soon as all is hooked up I will get pics!!  The best part of course.

Fantastic!  You are setup nicely.  Could be time to sell those early legacy's and jump on the next deal on an XL...then you could take advantage of the LC motor for heat  666

I would certainly mate the broom with cab.  The broom has a nasty habit of kicking up snowdust, worse than the blower.  I added a snowflap to my broom and that helped quite a bit (cut up a semi mudflap).  I don't know how much snow you get, but I run my broom 90% of the time.  I use my blade just for fun a few times and make piles for the kids (and then tend to run the broom after it), and my blower I reserve for the 6+" snowfalls...even then, I sometimes just push through with the broom.  I used to run my broom on a 2025 and it could bring that Kohler to it's knees.  The blower could too.  I never had a 20 horse.  The Kawasaki 27 will really snort when loaded up but there was a noticeable improvement in torque, in my opinion, over the CH25.  The diesel seems to have a slight edge over the Kawasaki.  They all do great and it's fun to hop back on an old B-10 to appreciate how far things have come.