Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis Chalmers 413H?

littlemarv

I haven't hardly begun on this project, and its already a long tale. Stick with me, I may wind up getting another tractor out of it in the end.

Picked up another 416H this summer for parts. The previous owner bought it for the engine, and sold me the rest. Rolling chassis, deck, blower, tiller, and blade. I wanted it for the rear end, cause I thought the hydro on mine was going bad, but it turned out it was just a sloppy linkage.

3ShVXsc.jpg?1

Thanks to the help on here, a little longer lever on the hydro got me going in both directions! Had a couple extras made while I was at it.

cUBwh3Y.jpg?1

SO, now I have this 416 sitting in my yard, that just needs a little engine dropped in to get it going again. The previous owner said he did blow snow with it one season, and the tractor worked as it should.

All it needs is a motor. Just one little motor. I've been on the lookout for a K341 to put back in it, but they are hard to come by. The pullers snap them up pretty quick. I guess they are highly desireable, as they can get up to around 50 cubic inches.

No luck. But these popped up on Marketplace.

KiaqXF9.jpg?1

Briggs 10 and 13 HP, respectively.  Pulled them out and took them downstairs for winter projects. We are making a cutaway engine out of one, and I wonder if the other will drop in the 416 chassis?

KwuVWsw.jpg?1

Well, before I go rebuilding an engine, I'd better make sure it fits! Lugged it back outside today and dropped it in. After I removed the muffler and turned the pipe down.

ktgpWqZ.jpg?1

wfRBiCF.jpg?1

Looks like it should fit pretty close, I may need to modify the right hood brace to clear the starter generator, and make or modify the drain plug hole in the frame, but other than that, looks like it can be done. Swap electrical systems, and we should be in business.

Of course, this is all dependant on the engine turning out OK. Bought it not running, need to crack her open and see what it looks like inside. Somebody told me oversize pistons and rings are hard to come by for this engine.

Edited by littlemarv
  • Like 2

Interesting project. The 13hp I pulled out of my Baron had a cylinder head with bolts the full height of the shroud all the way across the back. Yours looks more like the 16hp head. Do the numbers on the shroud indicated its a 30 cubic inch engine?  Best way to know for sure would be to measure the bore and read the displacement number cast in the bottom corner of the cylinder head. 

• Like 1

I've seen the 300/400 series repowered with CI Briggs before with minimal mods.dOd

Only possible problem would be finding a suitable and affordable  electric clutch to fit the 1" shaft on the Briggs.

Could use a special split bushing to shim out to the 1 1/8" dia that the original 400 series clutch uses. I used one on my Sunstar that I stuck a 16hp K341 I pulled out of a Deere that had a 1" shaft.  Cant say how well they hold up though, as I dont have any pto attachments for the star.

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 1

Sam, I have a mechanical PTO for the front, just need to figure up a way to make a linkage for it. That problem is a ways down the road though.

Josh, the change in speed is very little going forward. Reverse changed a lot, because it didn't work before and it does now. I would say the sensitivity has changed a little with the longer link, but not a big deal. Had to adjust to get neutral back where it belongs, but a very worthwhile mod considering how it would not back up any sort of an incline before.

• Like 1