Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

42" Landlord deck

MrSteele

I reassembled my deck today, with SKF bearings, new bolts, nuts and washers. I am posting this more for history than anything else. I have a deck that has new style splined outside shafts, with the center shaft old-style, with 2 bolts holding the blade on. This is the way I got the deck, and have built it one other time around 10 years ago. I do not pump grease into the mandrels, but use the sealed bearings and seal the housings with more blue goo than is necessary. I took the time to align the pulleys on the shafts. The center shaft is the only adjustable in this scenario. All shaft/pulley hubs are slathered in anti-seize for the next time, for whomever has to take it apart. 

My splined shafts were worn where the previous owner did not know how to keep the blades tight or use the proper cupped washers to keep the blades on, so I put them on upside down, with the worn area on top, the longer splined pulleys over the bad places on the shafts. The entire assemblies are covered in anti-seize where 2 pieces of metal meet, pulley/shaft, bolt/nut, and so on. Even the keys were treated. My center shaft is a re-manufactured item, built with a 3/4". fine thread end, longer than factory, to accommodate a nylock nut. The factory style caused me nothing but trouble with coming loose from time to time, and I got tired of tightening the nut often as I was doing.. I forgot a couple of times, and that is the reason for the longer shaft for a nylock.

This time, as another overkill as I seem wont to do, all the washers/spacers in the stack on the center shaft are hardened, wither hard washers or hardened thrust washers, to achieve the proper alignment of the pulleys. A new(er) idler for the take-up, and we will let you all know how long this lasts.

• Like 2

Update: I bolted the covers on the deck and put it on the tractor to mulch some leaves before the sleet/snow/rain predicted in our area for the next few days yesterday. I put the deck in gear,and for the first time since I owned the machine, heard nothing but the engine speed drawing down then governing back up. While I was in the BGB rework, I replaced the idlers in the PTO clutch and transmission belting. I had to look down to see if the blade was turning, engaging the clutch several times to be certain the blade was even turning. None of the bearings were making any racket at all, the deck, deck idler, clutch or transmission. No rattle in the deck covers due to new, longer bolts with nuts to assure tightness. The deck has the late model mower deck whine you hear on Saturday morning when everyone in the area is cutting grass. I might keep the machine!

Before I put it away, I blew off all the chaff, greased the front end again, including the new fittings on the pivots, greased the rear end and PTO shaft. She is now ready for the, weather permitting, annual New Years Day cutting of the wild onions and other nasties that show up in the yard.

• Like 2