Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Repowering Triad Sovereign

JohnFornaro

1 hour ago, ShaunE said:

I have an original Milwaukee Journal from that parade.  It's dated August 19th 1997.

It was given to me by the dealership when I purchased mine.  I also have the original dealer invoice & the dealer cost of that tractor was $5500.00 at least to the dealership mine was at in Indiana.

I got my info from the first Google hit:

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/20407753/simplicity_parade_sept_1997/

The "September 1997" could be the date of the newspaper the article was "clipped" from.  My mistake for not researching further.

26 minutes ago, TimJr said:

Wasn't there a change with the last of the Sovereigns and the fuel tank was clear or opaque rather than black?  My 1692798 has a black tank.  Seems like the seat and steering wheel may have also been different on the last ones/Triad powered ones (not counting the 75th) compared to my Command powered one.  I suppose looking at a parts diagram would confirm that........

Yes on both the seat and opaque gas tank for my 75th tractor (MFG# 1692889).  But based on this pic of the Sovereign displayed in the 1998 catalog:

5df06da33b7ef_1998SovereignCatalogpg10pic.jpg.6087a16c21e75efac16043f2d7c7972e.jpg

The seat appears to be the same as your tractor.  

Based on the combined parts catalog, the last MFG# 1693407/09 Sovereign had a different seat; it might be the same as the 75th but without arm rests.  

PS - The MFG# 1692798 Sovereign I picked up for my daughter looked in similar shape to yours:

IMG_9402.thumb.JPG.c16efd937c114eab39e3eb0204755aa6.JPG

But in had a bad BGB and side plates with flaking paint.  Do your side plates have the same paint issue?

IMG_9415.thumb.JPG.66cd14e9f1c8755d26904ddc2406a062.JPG

Wow.  A tractor in that condition with a bad BGB?  And, are you rebuilding it while it's in the tractor?  I didn't even know that could be done.

I had an opaque tank and wanted it for my daily worker.  One of my pet peeves is trying to fill these without overflow.  It's hard to see what's going on.  I use a 2-1/2 gallon can for the most part, but that only insures no spillage when you are empty.  

Hello, I have 2 sovereigns  both had Triad  engines and been been repowered   . They both have opaque fuel tanks  . they are model # 1693409  nonP\S   & 1693410 with P\S. 

I repowered  one with a 16 HP Briggs vanguard  and the other with a Predator 22 HP 

I call them the "TWINS"

Thanks Ken in Mi

IMG_3124.JPG

IMG_3125.JPG

Great googly moogly re: all those replies!  I was mistaken about the date.  1998?  I got it in '03  Here's the numbers.

Tractor:  1692945, S/N 50421

Engine, for the record:

Family: TKH574U1G2RA
Model: TH18S
Spec#: 54511
S/N: 2810302011
Displacement: 574cc

Apparently the engine was made on the 103rd day of 1998

Brett:  The 7116 has a 19" drive shaft, outside of tee to outside of tee.  It also has a 1 1/2" thick rubber coupling.

Will get back to you in a day or two.  Work has gotten hairy for the next two days.

My understanding was the last production run for the Sovereign was in April-May of 2000. The dealer I purchased mine from was told they had to make up their mine in regards to how many they wanted to order. I took delivery of mine on May 23, 2000. Many dealers ordered several for their inventory and sat in inventory sometimes for years until they were sold.

9 hours ago, PhanDad said:

My mistake for not researching further.

No apology necessary my friend.  Like you, I'm just trying to understand myself.  That's what makes this club better than the social media groups.  I was wrong myself.  The newspaper date was August 16th 1997 & the Dealer Cost was $5800.00 & the ship date was August 23rd 1997.  That most likely has no bearing.

IMG_2480.JPG

IMG_2481.JPG

Edited by ShaunE
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Brettw said:

Wow.  A tractor in that condition with a bad BGB?  And, are you rebuilding it while it's in the tractor?  I didn't even know that could be done.

The seller had recently bought the tractor and serviced it, including wash and wax.  Then he noticed the slop/leak in the BGB and didn't want to mess with it.

I was hoping the slop was just a worn key, that's why I opened the BGB in the tractor.  If all was good, I planned to replace the key and right side seal where it was leaking.  But since it needed more, I did remove it to rebuild it.  

Sorry @JohnFornaroWe're getting way off topic here.  I've wondered about the gray frames. On other models, they are more prevalent than on Sovereigns. My '99-'00 Landlord DLX has the gray frame as did my circa '98 Landlord .  Some of the DLX models had black frames. I believe they were the later ones. That would suggest this paint was fairly common from '97 to at least '99 or 2000. DLX's were made from somewhere in 1999 up to maybe 2002 when the Prestige came along to replace it. Sorry @TimJr , I can't help but use years/ (year of manufacture) as they're easier to remember than MFR numbers but yes the MFR# is the correct way to ID a machine. 

IMG_0084.thumb.JPG.430fa03df43250ca88cb0a2c3cccec74.JPG

'98 - Hand controlled Landlord, gray frame, factory seat (thick rubber slipped on a metal pan).  Date corresponds to the engine code, indicating early '98. I believe '97 had gray rims also but a different hood decal with more blue in it. 

IMG_2054.thumb.JPG.6bd08478ffff9bf720c3ebda4d45cf6e.JPG

'99-'00 Landlord DLX. Engine code is '99 but not sure which month. Gray frame, factory seat (molded seat), also saw these seats on the last of the Sovereigns. They had optional arm rests.  

IMG_4949.jpg

Edited by Chris727

22 hours ago, JohnFornaro said:

Brett:  The 7116 has a 19" drive shaft, outside of tee to outside of tee.  It also has a 1 1/2" thick rubber coupling.

Got it John.  I will look.  Sent you a pick of the proper muffler for your setup too.  I will wait to hear from you.

4 hours ago, Brettw said:

Sent you a pick of the proper muffler for your setup too.  I will wait to hear from you.

Using the 7116 muffler will obviate the need to carve a new exhaust hole in the hood.  So yeah.  Pile it on.  Drop me an email and let's chat prices.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:43 AM, maxwood said:

Thanks Ken in Mi

sovy1692798.jpg.cc66dcc2c9b4ac3f4abd8954a5fc9bb1.jpg

I hear those invisible engines get pretty good mileage!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:48 PM, PhanDad said:

But in had a bad BGB and side plates with flaking paint.  Do your side plates have the same paint issue?

On my sovereign, the side plates, the Sunstrand and the hitch side pieces all have flaking paint.  Kinda disappointing, to be sure.

Edited by JohnFornaro
clarification

On 12/10/2019 at 7:39 PM, Chris727 said:

I was under the impression that the 75th Anniversary model had the new, award-winning engine as a "showcased"  or " special feature " and they (regretfully) integrated it into the next two years of the tractors

I have a 75th and it belonged to my local dealer, his wife road it in the parade. He told me that the triad was used in the 75th because it was going to be the new  Sov. engine starting with the '98 model. He said he and his tech spent a lot of time going to kohler classes to learn about the new engine. He said by'99 they were going to classes to learn about all their problems and how to keep them running. He's still keeping mine running.dOd.

• Like 3

On 12/10/2019 at 10:41 PM, TimJr said:

Wasn't there a change with the last of the Sovereigns and the fuel tank was clear or opaque rather than black? 

The tank on my assumed to be last year Sovereign is translucent off white. Cream, if you will.

9 hours ago, JohnFornaro said:

Using the 7116 muffler will obviate the need to carve a new exhaust hole in the hood.  So yeah.  Pile it on.  Drop me an email and let's chat prices.

Will do.  I actually delivered 2200#'s of tile today, on a pallet.  So, now I have a pallet to load the 42" deck onto.  I just need to verify your driveshaft, rubber coupler, and then the muffler.  I will be in touch.

9 hours ago, JohnFornaro said:

On 12/11/2019 at 6:43 AM, maxwood said:

Thanks Ken in Mi

sovy1692798.jpg.cc66dcc2c9b4ac3f4abd8954a5fc9bb1.jpg

I hear those invisible engines get pretty good mileage!

They get impossible mileage.  In the trillions.  But it does wear one out moving them around................

On 12/10/2019 at 11:48 PM, PhanDad said:

Mine is a 1692798 also.  Got mine with a failed BGB back in 2007.  I got it when the original owner traded it in as a result of the failed BGB. I bought it after it had been opened up and found to need both shafts and gears.....   It didn't have an hour meter, but it probably had more hours on it than I would really want to know.....  The original owner mowed probably 3 acres of decent country lawn, had a tiller and decent size garden, and blew snow on a few hundred foot driveway for at least one season (ended up getting rid of the blower and put a plow on his truck).  I added an hour meter when I went through the tractor in 2007 and have put about 380 hours on it since then.

Yes - my paint was flaking off the side plates.  I think that it was originally powder coat?  Must have not had the metal prepped properly.

100_4299.JPG

100_4296 my Sovereign.JPG

• Like 1

On 12/10/2019 at 11:48 PM, PhanDad said:

Yes on both the seat and opaque gas tank for my 75th tractor (MFG# 1692889).  But based on this pic of the Sovereign displayed in the 1998 catalog:

Is there a print date on the 1998 catalog?  It wouldn't suprise me if they used a 1692798 (1997) model tractor if the catalog was printed early in 1998 or even late 1997.  Most people wouldn't notice the difference in a pic like that.

@TimJr, I wonder if the lack of a drain plug on the later BGB's resulted in earlier failures due to less ease of maintenance. The BGB on my 75th has a bit of slop but was also worked pretty hard. I have not removed or loosened the plate yet to change the oil. Will probably put a plate on with the plug on it. I also had the same paint flake issues with the rear hitch and side-plates. That was remedied with the blaster and a rare can of OEM touch up paint. IMG_5210.thumb.JPG.d278fadc7e41b145370b169137d07971.JPG

IMG_5211.thumb.JPG.fe467020f59d797233f102df64122048.JPG

8 hours ago, Chris727 said:

Will probably put a plate on with the plug on it.

I drilled a hole in the BGB cover plate, welded a jam nut on the outside and installed a magnetic drain plug.