Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Repowering a Landlord

goatfarmer

Hi,all! I'm a new member,and overwhelmed by the info on this site!! Anyway,I have a 3410 Landlord with the original Briggs. It's been rebuilt at least once,a few years ago. Now it's hard to start,runs lousy,no power,etc.I would like to wash my hands of this engine,and repower with something a little newer.Everyone I've talked to locally says it can't be done,with the way the engine sits in the tractor,the way the driveshaft attaches to the engine,etc. What are my options to keep this tractor running? Thanks! Kenny L

Hi Kenny, if you have the money, do like Al Eden did and put in a v-twin. We replaced a 12 hp kohler (712 Allis) with the 16 hp v-twin B&S. It had a 42" mowing deck under it. Made a huge difference. The torque curve on the v-twins is longer than for the singles. This makes them better when you are loading the engine. However, if you need a 16 hp B$S single, we have one. I still think the briggs single is one of the best engines made. You do have to change oil more often, but it is a very tough engine. I recomend that if you do rebuild your engine, have the flywheel repolarized, and install electronic ignition. This will eliminate heating caused by point wear and changing ignition timing. Hope this helps. Neal Pierce

As long as you use the correct "spec" engine, and have the room to install it, there's no reason why the 3410 can't be repowered with a modern engine. Look at the newer Sovereigns (basically the same as your 3410 with a longer wheelbase). They use Kohler OHV & OHC V-twins. There's nothing wrong with those old Briggs engines. It may be easier and cheaper to buy a good used one if yours is beyond repair.

You're talking to the wrong people. Talk to a tractor puller. We put anything and everything on these things. I have a 1961 Wards that has had the original 7.5 B/S, a 10 Hp B/S, a 12 Hp Kohler from a Cub Cadet(major mounting differences), and now a 14 Hp Kohler. The 14 Hp bolted to the original mounting holes in the chassis. Had to put a couple of washers under the engine at each bolt because the engine shroud hit the bottom of the chassis where it angles upward. I guess I could have used a hammer on the shroud but chose not to. You may need to make or find a drive shaft adapter. I had one from an engine from a Simplicity 7010. I made an adapter for the previous Cub Cadet engine. Also, if your driveshaft does not use the fiberglass flex joints, I would recommend converting to them. I did on mine. They work better if you have an increased driveshaft angle. I had to make a new mount for the grille (moved it forward) to allow for the fatter engine. I had to raise my gas tank because the Kohler carburetor was higher than the bottom of the tank. You may also have to install a different, either longer or shorter throttle cable, depending on what engine you are using. If you decide to do a swap, give me an email, and I will do my best to walk you through it. Rod H.

Here's a link that may be valuable also...[A href='http://www.repowereng.com'][img src='http://www.repowereng.com/repowereng/images/3415_1999_right.jpg'][/a]

Thanks for all the reply's!!I was thinking the V-twin is the way to go.Mounting shouldn't be a problem,as I can make adapters and brackets to fit about anything. The only thing I was worried about is the driveshaft hookup.Are there provisions on the newer engine to do this,or is it a combo of new and old engine parts that are used? And is there a specific Briggs model # I should consider? If I can get this tractor motivated again,looks like I'll have a JD208 for sale!!8^)

Goatman, I have not seen a flywheel yet that doesn't have some kind of mounting holes in it. When I used a Cub Cadet engine, I had to make an adapter plate. Just used 1/8" metal, drilled the flywheel pattern, then drilled the holes for the driveshaft. I put two long bolts through the driveshaft holes before bolting the plate to the flywheel. Bolted up the driveshaft as I was installing the engine. Be sure to get the spacing right on the flexplates. I have either used tubing or stacks of washers. Also remember that the mount on the angle drive can be loosened and moved a small amount to compensate for a small mismatch at the engine. Rod H.

I understand that Briggs has the adapters necessary to connect a Vanguard to your driveshaft, but I don't know any more than that... Also, be aware that you won't be able to use your front PTO pulley (snowblower) without doing something else. Based on earlier discussions, I understand that it puts too much stress on the front crankshaft bearings/seals that weren't originally designed for this...

Front PTO wouldn't be a problem,since it's not being used. Maybe I'll check with the local small engine distributor,and take a closer look at a Vtwin or similar.16-18HP sounds interesting!.Thanks,all!!!