Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Anyone ever use these tires?

Hick

I'm wanting to put duals on my dozer tractor. Right now I have Carlisle 23x8.50-12 2 ply bias tires.

Found these Deestone on Walmart, and RADIAL?!?!?! Walmart is selling a pair of 6 ply rating for $73, much less than the price of the Carlisle ($162).

5e13e17929665_Tires.jpg.1b530a591c6fdc6790f6b90af6e014c2.jpg
Has anyone had experience with these? Good, bad, indifferent?

A couple comments on Walmart's site state the tires are 1.5" narrower than specified. The Carlisles are actually 8" wide, and by my measurements the Carlisles installed will make the tractor the same width as the dozer (52").  I will also be putting them on 6" wide rims instead of the 7" it calls for (got 'em cheap!)

When I got the Carlisle wheels & tires, I bolted one on and put the other next too it to see how it would look.
5e13e485caad4_Tires1.thumb.jpg.978de4158186cc01c4ae59d00d69f20d.jpg

Right now I'm running the single dished-out.

5e13e48816671_Tires5.thumb.jpg.670a2ddfe22caa870c8654b36799d54a.jpg

I've been running a set of Deestones for some years now for winter blowing, and have zero complaints.  23-10.50-12's  They run a little shorter than some of the others, but still, no gripes at all.

• Thanks 1

I have been running them on my tiller tractor for 6 years now. I have 23x8.5-12 on it. They have great traction in mud and loose soil. I tried but haven’t gotten it stuck yet. They wear like iron and still look like new. Ymmv.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brettw said:

I've been running a set of Deestones for some years now for winter blowing, and have zero complaints.  23-10.50-12's  They run a little shorter than some of the others, but still, no gripes at all.

I have had the same experience. I have no experience nor did I know they made a radial but for the money the tires perform very well. 

7 hours ago, rbstuartjr said:

I have been running them on my tiller tractor for 6 years now. I have 23x8.5-12 on it. They have great traction in mud and loose soil. I tried but haven’t gotten it stuck yet. They wear like iron and still look like new. Ymmv.

You need to let me borrow your tractor. I'll bet I can get it stuck 😉

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, gwiseman said:

I have had the same experience. I have no experience nor did I know they made a radial but for the money the tires perform very well. 

Well, I saw that they were radials SOMEWHERE! Not mentioned on Deestone's website, but they have a separate tab for Bias Ply tires, which kinda makes me wonder if all the rest of their tires are radials.

I have the Deestone on my AC716. The tire store where I ordered them got in a set  of Carlisle the same size to go on another tractor. The Carlisle tire is a little wider and the lugs are thicker and deeper than Deestone. Had I been able to see the difference before ordering I would have gotten the Carlisle.

15 hours ago, rbstuartjr said:

Come on down n run in our mud. You are guaranteed to get stuck!  sm06

1 hour ago, AC716 said:

I have the Deestone on my AC716. The tire store where I ordered them got in a set  of Carlisle the same size to go on another tractor. The Carlisle tire is a little wider and the lugs are thicker and deeper than Deestone. Had I been able to see the difference before ordering I would have gotten the Carlisle.

Actually, a little narrower would be good in my case. And less lug can be good on the outside dual. On our farm tractors we preferred it. 

8 hours ago, AC716 said:

Come on down n run in our mud. You are guaranteed to get stuck!  sm06

Funny how I’ve never got my 914 stuck but almost got this one stuck though. That’s my biggest tractor,  that I use to pull out my stuck ones. When she sank I did get a bit nervous.

22421459-104D-4B31-8D71-4E54BC2F72BB.jpeg

I think it depends too upon what you are using them for.  Snow?  Narrower.  Dirt / Mud / or keeping them on year round that involves some turf work.  Wider.  Just my opinion.

When I got my Deestones, I was using them for traction on mowing a steep hill and tilling a garden. I haven’t used them for snow blowing as I use turf tires and chains for that. But I do use wheel weights on them. Once I used the weights and the lug tires my traction issues with mowing ceased. I liked the Carlisle ones but they were out of my price range at the time.

Got them today. Like the looks of them. I'm thinking put them on the Deere wheels for permanent and put the old Carlisles on the dual rims. (Deere wheels are yellow and proper width, dual rims are white and 1" narrower.)
Actually, what my plan is, is to demount a Carlisle and put it on the dual rim to see if that changes anything for width/height. Then maybe a Deestone on each rim, then decide. So in mounting these two tires, I may be demounting two and mounting four! But if I don't like the Carlisle on the dual rim and the Deestone on the Deere rim, then I'll be demounting four and mounting six! sm00
Have the heat on in the shop, blizzard headed our way.
Stay tuned!
Or not . . . ;)

Edited by Hick
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Hick said:

blizzard headed our way.

What's a blizzard? 

Does it need to be cold?  Does it involve snow?  It's been so long I've forgotten what it is.

It's in the 50's today and might hit 70 here this weekend.  

Well, the blizzard was a bust, unless it will hit again later. 
And, the tires didn't go as planned. I decided I didn't want to monkey with the Deere tires already mounted, so started mounting the Deestones with tubes. Truth be known, had I had stems, the wheels were clean enough to mount tubeless. But I had the tubes from the tires that were on the wheels. So I mounted the first tire.  Aired it up, and air was coming out from around the stem. Normal. But it kept coming, and the pressure was going down. Dang! Pulled the tube out, and it had been pinched. Okay was it that way when I put it in, or did I pinch it? I had not aired the tube before I put it in. Patched it, put it back in (carefully!) and aired it up. Good deal!

On to the next one. This one gave me a bunch of trouble. I don't have a tire machine,  just spoons and kneeling on the floor. While I'm fighting this tire, I got a cramp in my leg!!! OH ***!!!
Air the tube up before install, make sure it is okay. Yep, it is!
Got it all together, aired it up, and air was coming out from around the stem. Normal. But it kept coming, and the pressure was going down. Dang! Pulled the tube out, and IT had been pinched!  I NEVER have problems pinching tubes, and here I had two in a row!!! Started buffing it to patch it, and the tube TORE!!! Dang thing is paper thin!!! 
Rummaged around and found a steel stem from my motorcycle wheels.  Put it in, put the tire on tubeless. 
WHEW!!!
Then started figuring out what I'll need to mount them. I will make a 1/8" ring 1 3/4 or 2 inches wide that will fit between the rims at the bead roll. Then use four bolts through the wheels to pull them tight. 1 3/4" wide will put the outside width of the tires at 52" which is the width of the dozer. But if I have to, I can go 2" wide, depending on what's available. So, right now, with the tires setting in place, which puts all the valve stems facing  inside the sets of duals sm00 . The Deestones are narrower, which is a good thing in this case.

20200110_152545.thumb.jpg.8d0f7ca3c39ad0e96a721666a3ebd0ec.jpg

Edited by Hick

2 hours ago, AC716 said:

This picture shows the difference in the lugs very well. Also note the difference in width.

Yes, the Carlisle lugs are svery square out to the edge of the tires, the Deestone have a rounded profile on the edge. Which is actually better for the outside dual.

• Thanks 1

I had that happen with putting new tubes in my rear motorcycle tire. Pinched 2 tubes putting that tire on! Like you I have only spoons. 

Those duals look good on that Deere!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hick said:

Yes, the Carlisle lugs are svery square out to the edge of the tires, the Deestone have a rounded profile on the edge. Which is actually better for the outside dual.

My understanding is the rounded ends reduce tearing up the lawn when turning. Mine only tear up the yard when I have hooked to something that exceeds the tires grip. They will dig a hole quick if you let them.

• Like 1

Just ran into a tire issue I didn't expect. Have 2 cadets, a 169 with Goodyear bar treads and a 1650 with the Carlisle bars, both 23-10.50x12. Decided to put blower on 1650 because one of the Goodyear's on the 169 had a hernia. The Carlisle's are enough wider than the Goodyear's that I don't have clearance for the chains. When you get to looking at them the Carlisle's actually do look wider.