Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 7117 with issues

Bigstone

I'm going to go look at a 7117 that a guy has for sale and it's a little too far to go look at if it's not worth the repair.

He said he was using it an all of a sudden to blow snow and it just stopped in both directions. He's not mechanically inclined so he took it to a service center and they quoted him $1400 for the repair. Said the transmission/hydraulics need rebuild. Is there any weakness that would prompt a $1400 repair?  How hard would it be to find another rear end?   What family of tractors would I need to look for if I was going to go the donor route?  Thanks for your help here.

Dave   

What exact model? How equipped? How much$, How far? There might,repeat might, be sumpin hinkey  here most  "service centers" don't wanna service anything! they'd rather sell you a new goody. how confident are YOU in basic mechanical skills  'cause a R&R basically covers all the large frame Simp/AC line for donors

Plus which that's not how hydros usually go,which is usually a definite progression of getting worse until it  goes T/U. Sudden stop 'specially when workin hard says more like hub key or differential which really puts the question to the "service center" ie; incompetent  or crooked.Is anything trying to turn in the back (like the axle tube)? Does hydro lift work?

Based on your comment 

3 hours ago, Bigstone said:

Said the transmission/hydraulics need rebuild.

I'm thinking the 7117 is a hydro and it broke the axle tube - not a rare occurrence.  I could see a dealer charging that much for a repair, the parts aren't cheap and it's labor intensive.  For an idea of what it takes, @dave45056 recently wrote an excellent do-it-yourself axle tube replacement article.  It can be found here:

https://simpletractors.com/files/file/316-axle-tube-replacement-do-it-yourself/

IMO, it's easier to swap out complete rear ends; any 7000, 7100, and newer "Sovereign" tractors with Sundstrand hydros are a good candidate for swap.  An issue is if the tractor has a hydraulic lift or not; that can make the swap a bit more difficult.  

First off, how much for the tractor.  Then you can evaluate.  There is a lot of possible reasons it just stopped.  Does the PTO work?  If not likely a bevel gear box went bad.  If the PTO works, next is looking at axle tubes (although a failure that bad that it does not move at all would be visibly noticeable).  Differential could have come unglued, again, they will usually move or try to.  Pump?  I would highly doubt it, they are impervious to practically anything but kryptonite (and the pump might even shake that off).  Sheared axle key (doubtful but possible).  Assuming the dealership isn't crooked, the drive belt, tensioner spring and arm, and misc other minor / simple possibilities are quickly diagnosed and relatively inexpensive to repair.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...