Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2173986 Bushing

Simplecity

Good Morning All.

The title says it all.

I'm looking for that bushing which is used on the clutch side of the bevel gear box for a 3416 H (part #42 on the exploded diagrams that I have found).

The dimensional data would also be helpful. I could get one made.

All responses welcomed.

Simplecity  

Very interesting.  I've parted out a couple 3416H's and have never seen that part.  But there it is in the IPL:

image.thumb.png.65beb911210ddc17ed1225f9924dd275.png

The one thing I notice in the IPL, is the pictorial representation of the BGB cross shaft; it shows the older non-cone clutch type shaft with long key way vs the newer style with only a woodruff key slot at the end of the shaft for the "bell" part of the cone clutch.  Here's a pic comparing the two types of shafts:

IMG_9465.thumb.JPG.5e2dbed04aac40847f9e5bfa9ce2ea1e.JPG

(The long keyway shaft is from a Homelite T-10 with the same part number as listed in the above parts list).  You can see it also has the snap ring grooves for the cone clutch install at the same locations.  

Both of my 3416Hs had the newer shaft in the BGB; if you look close at this pic, you'll see the single woodruff key slot at the end of the shaft:

IMG_7552.thumb.jpg.dd177cdd210ff2ce83cbc596472950c4.jpg

Maybe another member has seen the part you're asking about.

If not, why are you interested in the part? 

With some more info, maybe we can help. 

• Like 1

That bushing is for the output pulley to the trans to butt against and is what the seal on that side seals to.  I believe I have a spare around here.  (Darn, and I just went to the post office to ship afe other goodies.........)

The spacer, item 42, is on the PTO side of the BGB, not the clutch side.

According to Simplicity the original cross shaft P/N 173996 has been superseded to 1685054SM, which is the same cross shaft as shown above and is the common cross shaft used up thru the Sovereigns. There was an issue where the small threaded end of the original shaft would brake off when over tightening a nut or using an impact wrench. the fix was to drill and tap the end of the shaft and use a bolt. You will have to check with your local dealer, but, I am guessing you would use the same PTO parts as the Sovereign.

Edited by Bill725
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bill725 said:

The spacer, item 42, is on the PTO side of the BGB, not the clutch side.

I stand corrected.  I looked at it wrong.  Part #6 is what I was thinking of.  I agree with Bill.  I have not seen that spacer on the cone clutch side.

Good Morning All

I'm looking for the spacer because the output shaft "walks" back and forth about a 1/4 inch or so when the tractor is running.

The goal here is to keep the bevel gears fully engaged instead of just at the tips.

The T-10 shaft pictured appears to have a bushing on it  (or it is machined as part of the shaft).

Simplecity

The T-10 cross shaft above has the LH needle bearing, ref. no. 15, on it.

If you have side play in the cross shaft then something is wrong. FYI, the LH/PTO side has nothing to do with controlling side play. It is controlled by the RH/clutch side.

1) The retaining ring, 12, goes in the ring groove on the cross shaft.

2) The bevel gear, 11, has a groove, goes against the retaining ring.

3) The ball bearing, 10, inner race against the bevel gear, outer race against the counterbore in BGB housing.

4) The seal kit, 9, which should be P/N 1685088SM consists of a spacer and an oil seal, spacer against outer race of ball bearing and seal against the spacer.

5) The shims, 4, 7 & 8, shim flush to side plate machined mounting surface, against the seal.

6) Spacer, 6, against inner race of ball bearing.

7) Clutch Pulley, not shown, against spacer.

8) Jam Nut, 5, against pulley.

9) RH Side Plate, not shown, against shims.

When the jam nut is tightened, 45-50 ft-lbs, is pulls the cross shaft and the whole assembly against the RH/clutch side side plate resulting in no side play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What @Bill725 said.

Two things I've found when I encountered the same issue on a "new to me tractor":

The easy one - the nut holding the drive pulley on (#5) is loose letting the shaft drift to the left (as sitting on the tractor).

The problem one - the shaft and/or spacer is incorrect to the application.  There are different shafts/spacer combinations depending on the tranny type - especially hydro vs variable.  If someone swapped in a different BGB which came from a tractor with a different tranny a side play problem can arise depending on which spacers (existing or one from the swap BGB) are used.  Clutch belt alignment (pulley location on the BGB shaft) can also be an issue.  CRS has taken the detail of the issue away, could be woodruff key location issue with the different type BGB cross shafts.  

On 1/14/2020 at 7:50 AM, Simplecity said:

I'm looking for that bushing which is used on the clutch side of the bevel gear box for a 3416 H (part #42 on the exploded diagrams that I have found).

So based on all the above.  My question is are you looking for Spacer-6 #171792 (Clutch Side)?  Or Spacer-42 #173986 (PTO Side)?  My guess is you probably don't need either & the posting from @Bill725 has given you a very accurate depiction of how it all "loads" together & takes the side-play away.And like @PhanDad has stated, I've never seen one of those either & my best guess is that is a pulley spacer that was used before the evolution of the Cone Clutch PTO.

I think you're looking for the clutch side hydro spacer (NOT the part number you listed).

If so, here's the info from Jack's Small Engine Parts database for the hydro clutch side spacer:

Part Number Description Supercedes - Whats This? Price Order Here

Simplicity
PN# 2171792SM

More Info
SPACER 0.878IDX1.250O PN#: 171792
has been superceded
to PN# 2171792SM  

Our Price: $27.20
  Qty:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 

I measured one I have and the dimensions listed are the ID and OD of the spacer.

My measurement of the spacer length is about 1.347".