Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cheap wheel spacers

RAC

So when I changed my snow blower to my 1650 cub I found that the Carlisle bar treads on it had a wider profile than the Goodyear's on the 169. Enough so that I didn't have quite enough room to comfortably mount my chains. 

Needing extra clearance I picked up two sets of these automotive spacers at Advance Auto. Each spacer is 5/16 thick and I put a pair on each side. So giving me an extra 5/8 inch each side. Just enough extra to let the chains clear the inner fender nicely.

At $16 a pair they're an affordable solution if you want just a little bit more clearance.

IMG_20200117_114309309_BURST001.jpg

IMG_20200117_114223219.jpg

IMG_20200117_114237492.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There's not much slop on these wheels so for now I just used regular nuts. Somewhere I have some 7/16 fine lug nuts. When I manage to find those I'll be put them on. I don't think at operating speed I'll notice the 1/16 of an inch that they might be off center.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/18/2020 at 5:44 AM, RAC said:

There's not much slop on these wheels so for now I just used regular nuts. Somewhere I have some 7/16 fine lug nuts. When I manage to find those I'll be put them on. I don't think at operating speed I'll notice the 1/16 of an inch that they might be off center.

I have done this to every tractor I own.  7/16" fine threaded Grade 8 bolt with a drop of Red Loc-Tite on the threads by the head.  Makes it MUCH easier to dismount & mount wheels.  Ace Hardware or Fastenal for the Wheel Nuts.  Powermax platform tractors can get pricey for the 9/16" Wheel Nuts & I've found the cheapest (yet expensive) option through Fastenal.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/11100876

But based on what I'm hearing about Fastenal in some other posts, maybe that is not an option for some in certain areas.sm00

Edited by ShaunE

We have a Fastenal. But I find them to be really pricey. Local Ace does have a good selection of nuts/bolts and surprisingly so does Rural King. TSC here is pretty good for coarse thread stuff. If you need big metrics (which Fastenal REALLY likes to soak you for) go to the John Deere dealer. Otherwise for small metric Ace is the place.

Edited by RAC