Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

"Sharpen" bar tread?

srwven

I won't say there is an easy way to cut a tire but if the rubber is under water you can cut it much more easily...Maybe a large carpet knive could carve off the offending rubber..Woody

The wheel grinder works easy and fast. It just leaves a black mess all over. Mike S.

To rough cut the tires a heavy-duty or industrial electric wood hand planer works great.

I cut mine with a regular utility knife (boxcutter) to get the majority of the rubber off and then finished shaping them with a grinder with a 24 or 36 grit grinding disc.

I gave up on a utility knife when I sliced my finger open. Nearly gave up on the grinding wheel when I hit my finger with it and removed a couple of layers of skin. I'm dangerous when I cut tires. Rod H.

I remember seeing on the internet rules for a tractor pull stating no sharpening of bar tread allowed. My question is how can this be done? I have acquired a used set of ag tires and would like to do this, any hints?

There are several ways. Some people use what is known as a hot knife, made especially for re-grooving truck tires. This knife is heated, and melts and cuts at the same time. It is more expensive than most want to pay and does not give a really smooth result. Like most pullers, I use a tire grinding wheel. I purchased one that fits a 4-inch grinder. This wheel is a steel disk with sharp, pointy, tungsten carbide chips bonded to it. It chips the rubber off the tire very smoothly without heating the tire into a gummy state as some other devices do. I also have a small cylindrical tool of this type that I use for final shaping that fits a die grinder. I purchased this from a store that sold supplies for making duck decoys. I got my grinding disk from a friend, but you might try "Midwest Super Cub". I'm sure they will sell them. I have never tried it, but another friend says he uses a belt sander and heavy grit paper. It should work. I also cut one set with a rotary wood rasp mounted on a grinder. Very slow, and only works good while the tire is cold. Gums up when rubber gets hot. Hope this helps. Rod H.

The pros take every other bar 90% off down to 1/4" the rest they sharpen down to maybe 1/2"