Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JeffL

Warm weather oil viscosity

Cityboy
Jeff, I run 30W in my 720 Allis year around. It doesn't seem to be a problem for me in west central Illinois. It does require adding a pint about every third or fourth mowing (2+acres) but I don't think that's so bad. Just my experience,and I'll yield to the pro's! Dave

JeffL
I have a 4040 and I wanted to verify the oil specification in the original Simplicity owners manual. 5W-30 for colder than 30 degrees and straight 30 weight for warmer than 30 degrees. Won't the straight 30 weight be tough on the engine during initial start-up?

i've had great success with Amsoil 10w40 Synthetic year round in NE Ohio. Engines run cooler in hot weather and are better lubricated in cold weather. Don't believe the crap dealers tell you about not being able to run multigrade or synthetic oils.

FIRE
I am an AMSOIL dealer and sell synthetic lubricants for all types of engines. I live in IL. and have been useing 5W-30 in my mower year around. It has started in the dead of winter and has no problens with the heat. The synthetic oil help to dispensate the heat that is generated. If you would like more information about the oil please e-mail meat ; rkramer@danville.net and I would be more than happy to send you more information.