Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Brettw

Axle tubes

Brettw

Are the large frame axle tubes generally the same for the large frames?  3200 -7100 series for example?  Or 3 speeds vs hydros vs shuttles, etc.?  Or were they specific.  I am having a bit of trouble chasing down part 3's to cross reference.  I know Simplicity always had the "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" mentality, and so many parts survived decades basically untouched in re-design; it was one of the reasons they did so well.  I have a few old rear ends that need to be sent along their way, and if I can salvage some good parts I would like to do so.

PhanDad

There are different axle tubes.  The hydro ones (Vickers and Sundstrands) are almost the same, but I believe key sizes were changed.  A quote from Al ('99 post):

"There was a change in the axle tube in the early 7100 production. Mainly the keyway and the length of the key. This reduced the tendency for stress cracks to run out from the keyway and cause the tubes to break. I believe the new tubes have the change in them now."  

When I was looking for an axle tube for my Homelite Vickers hydro I did some digging and found there is some confusion about hydro axle tubes - I believe the Vickers hydros , some early 7000 series Sundstrands (such as MFG #1690006),  the newer 7100 series, and the newest "Sovereign" hydros use the same axle tube #1670864 (Vickers part #166066 supercedes to this).  The other Simplicity 7000 series and early 7100 series hydros use a different axle tube (#1651517).  The difference is the key size.   The diesel tractor also had an axle tube that was longer.  

Gear tractor axle tubes are different; I don't know if there are different "sizes".  

Let us know what you figure out.  

• Like 1

Brettw

I will see what all pops up for info.  I have a complete shuttle rear end I would like to sell rather than scrap, but if there is no interest, I would at a minimum pull the axle tube if it's somewhat universal.  It's one of things that is pretty hard to replace nowadays.

GregB

The actual rear IMHO has little value beyond scrap, but the tube and Shuttle Sheaves would probably be worth saving.  Tube as a sort of universal spare, shuttle parts may be better than what someone already has that is not working.

Brettw

That's helpful Greg.  And what I was thinking.  Unlikely someone loves a shuttle enough to swap out a setup, or convert to it.  But, the parts are probably worth it.  I will pull the shuttle setup and related parts, and scrap the remainder.  The only other somewhat oddball thing is the 4 speed trans, but other than the shuttle, I can't imagine a use for it.