Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hood Screws

BLT

3 hours ago, Brettw said:

Holy Hardware Batman!  "Plated as originals were".  I didn't realize the originals were gold plated!  :D

These are the same ones Wells Implement was selling a while back. I had posted on FB that I planned to refurbish an original set, and successfully had a set re-chromed for $20, but still need $20 worth of the correct cross-pins. The above seller criticized my effort and basically said I was wasting my time and should buy his.

Edited by Chris727
spelling
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I understand they are proprietary and NLA.  And if you are really into the "originals" I get it, I guess.  But 70 bux for four bolts tells me I should be in the nut and bolt business!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not going to get into current pricing and availability etc. but Had I known I could have had dozens of these back in the day. wah

40 years ago in the beginning of my manufacturing career I work just down the street from my current employer.

First Manufacturing job out of high school.  Production screw machine shop, full of single and multiple spindle automatic lathes, and secondary machining operations.

We used to make those by the box full.   First operation was feed out, profile the curve on the head, flat knurl, cut the backside, and form the thread blank.  Part it of bar and repeat.  All controlled by cams, no electronics then.

Second operation was deburr, thread.  Then another operation to fixture cross drill.  then another operation to press in the pins.  Out for plating and then done.

The part may seem simple but equipment, time  cost.  CNC may help, but above the standard home shop level for production.  As a hobby, maybe.....

• Like 3

I have 2 with stripped threads, going to cut the stripped ends off, bore, tap, put a new stud in, and maybe with a liberal amount of thread locker and a couple tack welds, the stud will stay in place. I know that this is different from original manufacture, but I do not have the tools, or the money to blow on new, right now.

I like the tractors, but the engines are the collection that shows off the old engines. Several engines will be bolted down for show, later this year, cause I do not have enough tractors

• Like 1

Just to put everything in perspective , I don't hear anyone complaining $3 to $3.50 a gallon for gas. And when is the last time you bought premium beer for $4.00 a case and lastly a 1600 sq ft single story home for $40,000? Just sayin'.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, MrSteele said:

maybe with a liberal amount of thread locker and a couple tack welds, the stud will stay in place.

I would think if you use red locktite that no tack welding will be needed. Takes heat to get that stuff loose.

Harry

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 7:09 AM, Brettw said:

I understand they are proprietary and NLA.  And if you are really into the "originals" I get it, I guess.  But 70 bux for four bolts tells me I should be in the nut and bolt business!

I looked up the pricing in my 1981 Simplicity and the selling price for all four items came out to $5.50  a set for all four Items , screw, plate, spring & nut. So for $25.00 a set for all four items isn;t that  far out of whack.

29 minutes ago, BLT said:

I looked up the pricing in my 1981 Simplicity and the selling price for all four items came out to $5.50  a set for all four Items , screw, plate, spring & nut. So for $25.00 a set for all four items isn;t that  far out of whack.

40 yrs - I'd say not

2 hours ago, gwiseman said:

2 hours ago, gwiseman said:

40 yrs - I'd say not

This simply confirms it, I should have gotten into the nut and bolt business 40 years ago!!!!&:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1