Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rolling Troubles

BrendonV

i have a simplicity 728. i adjusted the breaks to the point that they work good going fowards, but when its time to use them when rolling backwards on a hill or with a trailor load, they dotn work and i end up almost killing myself i am rolling backwards so fast. can anybody help?? thanks brendonv

Might check to see if the brake lining is glazed, If so try roughfin it up with a piece of course sandpaper, or wind the rubber band tighter:}. I noticed today with the rake on my 112 it doesn't stop quite as good backing up, to some degree I think its the nature of these band brakes.MPH

Going forward the band tends to tighten and to some extent "self energize". Going backward the band is trying to loosen therefore you have to push harder than you would when going forward for the same braking effect. In addition to braking the glaze, if any, make sure the brake band is properly adjusted. My 2 cents worth, Roy