Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Are Legacys loosing value like Sunstars??

Alltractoredup

There are multiple Legacys for sale within 300 miles of me and they seem to sit or not sell.  Early Legacys and XL's are relatively common here in Minnesota and nearby states.  

I see these early Legacys sit for months around the $1000-$1500 mark. Even XL's sit for quite some time or prices are reduced continuously.

Are Legacys falling in the Sunstars footsteps, loosing interest and support from people?

I spoke to a local Simplicity dealer and he said new and used Legacy sales are stagnant.  Consumers are catching on to Briggs and Strattons poor product support and favoring Kubota, Deere, Massey, Mahindra and so on.  

Anybody else finding this scenario in their areas?

It's just the market. Everybody thinks they either need 4 wheel drive or a zero turn, especially the latter, just like they think they need a 4 wheel drive vehicle. 

In terms of the XL the major manufacturers have larger dealer networks, and spend tons more in marketing which carries brand recognition over into even the used market. The Legacy (original) was a premium priced tractor now somewhere between 17 & 21 years old. A 3206 or 3235 Cub would be about the same class tractor in terms of age, HP and deck size and can probably be had for about the same money (and is probably hosed too). On the other hand a Deere 455 that's beat all to heck will still bring $3,000 mostly because it's green and says JD on the side of it and EVERYBODY recognizes the brand. 

The Legacy's in decent shape 'round here are still holding some value. One about 15 miles from me 1400+ hours 20 HP $1,995 on Crooks List. What do I know though... I paid $600 for my Legacy 25 and $200 for the Cub 1864 parked next to it.

• Like 1

Legacys have been this low for quite some time.  I paid under $1000 for a nice 25 horse 3 years ago, and several more under a grand since. I see very respectable, modest hour machines quite commonly in the $1500 range.  They are a great value in my opinion., especially when I still see folks trying to get 1500-2k for a sovereign or Sunstar.  

XLs can be found very reasonably as well. My last diesel/4x4 with loader was $5500. That was a 600hr machine with a new engine. I recall when I sold one of my first Early Legacys with loader and 3pt/540pto for $5500.  The market has shifted considerably. 

• Like 1

Hope theres some value left in them. Thinking of throwing my early one out with the 540 pto and 3 point, along with a nice 54" deck and a single stage blower out for sale. Also going to include a second early legacy for parts. Good engine and tranny, but has leaky seals on both to deal with.  Not sure what a sellable price is for all that as yet....

Legacy market here is sketchy but Simplicity dealers are few. Eearly Legacy and counterparts are still priced $2-3k on dealer lots with 1k + hrs. I bought a 600hr tractor for <$1k off CL with toasted deck. Couple of nicer 800hr Legacy tractors nearby on dealer lot w/deck and blade priced at $3k now. 

I have given some serious thought to one of them.  About 5 years ago, I helped a retired guy who had just had surgery and had to remove his blade and mount his deck.  My first experience with a Legacy.  Quite the machine, I was thoroughly impressed.  There is one for sale about an hour from here for $2,500.00  23 horse 54" deck and it looks to be mint.  That seems to me to be a lot of tractor for the money.  I love my Sovereigns, but that is a whole 'nuther step up.

• Like 2

There is an '09, 2wd, with Kawasaki for $3250 nearby. Looks good in the pics. Does not appear to be a 3 point. I though that was standard on the XL's???? Unless Briggs turns around their parts supply issues (and I hope they do), my Prestige will be my last newer Simplicity. 

Edited by Chris727

I really like my Legacy XL with 3-point, PTO and FEL, powered by the infamous 27HP liquid cooled Kawasaki. I wish the FEL had more lifting capacity than 500 lbs. I use the 3-point but not the PTO yet. I would like to purchase a tiller to replace my Sovereign tiller. I don't like the XL 54" mower deck as it leaves a strip of uncut grass along the LH edge. I think with the shallower deck than the Sovereign's deep deck, the LH blade spends more time regurgitating grass clippings than cutting grass. I was told by a reliable source there is a flaw in this deck design. So, I like to use one of my Sovereigns to mow. I don't understand how Simplicity sells every new XL they can build for $9700-$13250 when it is powered by an air cooled engine. If I ever have to replace my XL, it will be powered with another water-cooled engine.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Chris727 said:

There is an '09, 2wd, with Kawasaki for $3250 nearby. Looks good in the pics. Does not appear to be a 3 point. I though that was standard on the XL's???? Unless Briggs turns around their parts supply issues (and I hope they do), my Prestige will be my last newer Simplicity. 

3pt still an option. I sure like my Agco 2025 loader tractor so far and  @Brettw is correct - its a whole nother step up.  

• Like 1

Just thinking about the parts supply comments and my Legacy... Kohler CH25S parts - available anywhere, Hydro Transmission? That model used on more makes and models than I can count - parts - available anywhere. Power steering? Maybe an issue if I ever need to work on it. Deck? Spindle bearings - available anywhere. Bearing cups? no problems getting those when I needed 'em last year. Roller - converted to one piece steel, will never replace again. Electric PTO? nothing special, get one anywhere to fit. Lower PTO stub shaft? Replacement bearings from Rural King and cast bearing mounts on-line. Drive shaft and lower PTO universal joints - off the shelf items, get 'em anywhere. New Seat - TSC.  Light and mower height control switches? Still available (looked a little different but fit right in). I suppose if you needed body parts, a headlight  or some of the tractor plastic you might be out of luck, but the truth is that a lot of the parts for those tractors can be had from almost anyplace. Then again, My tendency is to get parts for my stuff wherever its handy and not necessarily at the dealer. I mean.. the last time I needed a voltage regulator for a starter-generator cub I got it at the JD dealer that I drive by every day. The tractor didn't seem to know the difference where the part came from (and it was actually cheaper than at the IH dealer or NAPA, go figure). It's just a voltage regulator they all work the same.

The one gripe I have on parts for it - left handed 60 inch deck mower blades....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RAC said:

Just thinking about the parts supply comments and my Legacy... Kohler CH25S parts - available anywhere, Hydro Transmission? That model used on more makes and models than I can count - parts - available anywhere. Power steering? Maybe an issue if I ever need to work on it. Deck? Spindle bearings - available anywhere. Bearing cups? no problems getting those when I needed 'em last year. Roller - converted to one piece steel, will never replace again. Electric PTO? nothing special, get one anywhere to fit. Lower PTO stub shaft? Replacement bearings from Rural King and cast bearing mounts on-line. Drive shaft and lower PTO universal joints - off the shelf items, get 'em anywhere. New Seat - TSC.  Light and mower height control switches? Still available (looked a little different but fit right in). I suppose if you needed body parts, a headlight  or some of the tractor plastic you might be out of luck, but the truth is that a lot of the parts for those tractors can be had from almost anyplace. Then again, My tendency is to get parts for my stuff wherever its handy and not necessarily at the dealer. I mean.. the last time I needed a voltage regulator for a starter-generator cub I got it at the JD dealer that I drive by every day. The tractor didn't seem to know the difference where the part came from (and it was actually cheaper than at the IH dealer or NAPA, go figure). It's just a voltage regulator they all work the same.

The one gripe I have on parts for it - left handed 60 inch deck mower blades....

I suppose its less of an issue for a Legacy as they don't have as many proprietary parts and are generally better quality. Smaller machines with steering gears, axles which wear or bend and need replacement. Those are the things you can't get from a hardware store.   

• Like 2

I suppose. You have to have realistic expectations for parts availability though. I mean, we're talking about 30 year old, or older, lawn mowers. From the companies perspective you don't continue to manufacture those rarely ordered spare parts items much past the model  run. Sooner or later stock runs out. If there isn't enough volume to entice after market manufacturers, like in auto parts well then.....

• Like 1

I bought a 2001 Legacy diesel w/ loader and I cannot praise this tractor enough, just a tough machine, it mows 6 acres weekly, with a Swisher 60 trail mower offsetting the 60 inch deck, it's plowed snow, moved tons of dirt, pulled 4 foot pieces of old waterlogged railroad ties out of a lake in Wisc., and it just keeps going. Smilin Sam if you want to separate that 540 pto let me know!

• Sad 1

If I do decide to got to a Legacy, I think I would be looking at an XL and likely 4WD.  However, how is the turning radius on a 4wd?  Is it a the wrong way to go if you are mainly cutting grass?  In the long run, I will want a loader, Glass Cab and blower, hence the 4WD, but realistically, the majority of use will be cutting grass.

Like the 4 Ed drive on Prestige 

hill that Broadmor had problem with no problem with Prestige

and when you are tackling snow plow banks  it is great

however I have heard Legacy deck has problems with one blade turning in opposite direction

Bill, I might want to do just that come spring.  It would be great to "test drive" one in the real world before just buying one.  I wanted a PS Sovereign in the worst way.  I have had 3, and none of them had steering that performed well enough for cutting grass.  Wander, slow response, etc.  So I will look forward to taking you up on your offer and seeing if what I want is really what I want! 

Edited by Brettw

2 hours ago, Ronald Hribar said:

however I have heard Legacy deck has problems with one blade turning in opposite direction

The Legacy deck has one blade that turns in the RIGHT direction! 😉

14 hours ago, Brettw said:

If I do decide to got to a Legacy, I think I would be looking at an XL and likely 4WD.  However, how is the turning radius on a 4wd?  Is it a the wrong way to go if you are mainly cutting grass?  In the long run, I will want a loader, Glass Cab and blower, hence the 4WD, but realistically, the majority of use will be cutting grass.

Brett, I mowed a small-ish lot with lots of maneuvering and some steep slopes, and the 4wd XL never felt like it did not turn sharp enough for me.  My Prestige felt only a touch more nimble, but the 4wd was such a godsend for mowing those slopes that I let the Prestige go.  No more wheelspin when the grass was damp, and sidehill mowing was much easier.  

I now mow about 2.5 acres, and the XL simply covers ground faster, and then out by my road I mow the ditch without even having to slow down...flick it into 4wd for the up/down slopes, and then flick it out for my straightaways and 3pt turns.  Two neighbors cannot mow their ditch up/down on their zero turns, nor my immediate neighbor with his Prestige.  The XL is like a mountain goat.  I cut around 16 trees and the turning radius has never been an issue.  When in 4wd the radius does increase to a less desirable range, but in dirt or snow it is unnoticeable.  

I entirely ditched chains when I got my first 4wd.  The machine does fantastic all winter long without them.  

I can say I don't share Bill's opinion on the 54" deck though.  I've had that on Prestige, early legacy and XL, and it is flat out the best cutting deck I've used.  I think it beats the 48" even.  The only reason I'm not using it now, is for the extra width of the 60 on my larger lawn.  

• Like 1