Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

general engine question

Dave-Saratoga

while running a 4 hp riceburner, oil started blowing out of the exhaust and the engine started running bad. seemed to go away in a few minutes and ran fine for the next half hour. put it away in the shed for the winter. THEN, when i just opened the oil drain plug for maintenance, lots of gas mixed with oil came pouring out. is this thing salvageable or am i like that (in)famous town in pennsylvania?

I'd put fresh oil in, run for 10 min or so, change it again and ee how long it goes..Do this after you figure out how the gas got in your oil, sounds like maybe a stuck needle valve or float set to high. If they run, they ain't dead yet...MPH

Check your carburetor. I had an 11 Hp B/S on a Murray mower that would do this if the float stuck in the carb. The crankcase vent came off the side of the carb and the overflowing gas ran straight into the crankcase. Check your carb first before you go into the engine. You may just need a carb rebuild. Rod H.