Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Landlord 2012 - Replacement fuel tank

Plus1Hdcp

Looking for an acceptable replacement fuel tank for my Landlord 2012 which I am trying to restore. The one which was on the tractor when I purchased it looked like it was store with water in it and suffered catastrophic damage (lol). Anyway, if anyone can point me into the right direction it would be greatly appreciated and hopefully save some time in my search.

Thanks

That is a plastic tank and should not develop rust holes.  One approach might be to cover the bottom with fiberglass and clean the inside.  Put in a couple cups of Abrasive Tumbler Media, strap the tank to the wheels of another tractor and drive it around for awhile. 

Edited by wwbragg
correction

47 minutes ago, wwbragg said:

That is a plastic tank

I don't think so; a 2012 is a flat hood FDT similar to a B-110.  It has the squarish metal fuel tank.  

They are hard to find without holes of one type or another.  Some have coated the inside of the tank; a site site should find what was used and how it was done.

LawnBoy plastic tanks have also been used as replacements:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/46259-fdt-plastic-replacement-gas-tank/

Assuming you want functionality over originality, they are probably easier to find.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PhanDad said:

I don't think so

In partstree, the picture looks like the plastic tank in my 7119.  Either way, my remedy is the same - - - clean out the inside and fiberglass the outside.  But ebay is looking better and better all the time.

If a metal tank. You can fiberglass the outside if it is that bad. Whatever, I would clean the inside. A handful of nuts and small bolts inside to be shaken around either by hand or driving with it strapped to the wheel of another machine. Flush with water after removing bolts and nuts, and flush several times, til the water is cleared up. Then flush with gas or mineral spirits, when that flush is clear, final flushes with gas or MEK. I personally use MEK, since it evaporates quicker. I forgot to say that if you use MEK, good ventilation or outside. When all flushed, line with RedCoat

http://www.damonq.com/Red-Kote.html

It is pricey, but when properly installed, you now have a thin plastic tank, no more rusting, ever. Look online for users that can tell you how to use it. The directions on the can will work, but there are better ways, or, PM me and I will share my 18-20 years experience. You may find it at a local store, cheaper than online.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply as you have given me a couple of great options to consider. I will continue my investigation and let you all know what path I end up taking.

• 7 months later...