Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

10 hp briggs on 725 cuts out sometimes

tacomac

The old thing starts and runs good until it gets under load in heavy grass or on a grade. Then it tends to run out of gas. If I quickly push the clutch it will usually keep running and continue mowing, if I dont it will stop running but it always starts up again. I put a fuel filter in the line, thinking it was getting a slug in the carb, but that didn!t fix it. Does anyone know the problem?

Have you tried making the mixture richer. Turn the screw in the very bottom of the carbureton about 1/8 turn counterclockwise and see if this helps. If not you need to check the fuel flow. You can do this by turning off the fuel, then removing the fuel bowl (the big nut on the bottom). The The adjustment jet comes out with it. Turn the fuel on and see if you have good flow. Also you should check the float setting. Push it upward till the needle valve is seated. The float should be level. If it is still lower than level, you need to bend the small metal tang that the needle valve attaches to to make the float set level. Try these and see if it helps. By the way, if you are careful you can remove and reinstall the fuel bowl without a new gasket. Rod H.

I have the same setup, 725 with B&S 10HP, and had the same problem until I moved the condenser out from under the points cover to outside of it to cool it. You will have to add a short wire to the condenser in order to relocate it.

MPH, Your reply just backs up my philosophy. "If you think it is fuel, then fix the ignition, If you think it is ignition, then fix the fuel". Been bitten so many times that most times I'm just guessing. Rod H.

my 10 hp briggs does the same thing - and i put an in-line fileter in too. i sometimes have to unhook the filter from the line, let gas flow then restart engine. i think my problem is the in-line filter

Rod, my 112 was running really ragged a couple days ago, couldn't get any carb adjustment satisfaction AT ALL, checked points, fine, pulled plug, completely fouled, don't see how it ran at all. First time thats happened..Dave, I have that same problem on a 16hp briggs I have yet to beat,pull it hard for about an hour and then every 10 min I gotta bleed the fuel line. If you beat it please let me know..MPH