Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Using snow plows in dirt

Rossco

How well does a front plow work on moving dirt? I have a 712H and live in south Texas, so I don't need to move any snow. I do have a need to do some major landscaping around our new home. Is a tractor this size capable of doing much with one of these blades. I wonder if a Johnnybucket wouldn't be a better choice since you can transport and possibly do some spreading. Not any assortment of used implements to buy in this area for these machines, so would have to get shipped from out of state on either one. I am jealous of you guys up north. All the nice used machines and equipment I see are all way up there! Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated. By the way, this is a great site! Sure beats the format on Yahoo clubs I belong to. Ross Coleman

Hi Ross, I have neve had a Jonny bucket. However, it does sound like many club members are very satisfied with them. As most of them will state, It is a very usefull unit!

As the article I linked shows and describes, it mounts the same as a dozer blade using the two front mounts and a heavy-duty lift rod... It'll readily lift over 200 lbs with the hydraulic lift on the old B-series Allis. As far as digging something up, that's more a matter of traction than anything. It'll handle more than you'll be able to get enough traction to provide.... http://simpletractors.com/images/bucket/jim_bucket.jpg

Yep, Woody. It makes a great emergency brake, but it's tough on the lawn... Have you ever been stuck going downhill? This picture is when I "discovered" buried treasure -- a buried swing set, 63 Chevy rear fender or something (I can't remember, to be honest)... I do remember that I had to dig the tractor out with a pickax and shovel, since I couldn't back up...

I have a heavy duty plow I use on dirt/rocks all the time. Look on the new clubhouse to see the difference between the heavy and normal hitches. I think I posted it as "Snow Plow and Grader Blade Hitches". I have also recently tried using the mouldboard plow to loosen the earth before trying to push it which seems to work better. I have a Johnny Bucket ordered and will post pics when I have it. I think you'd be surprised at how much one of these tractors will do. Mine is the 3310 V, a 10 HP Landlord. I'm using it to level my hill, taking it down by several feet. I am also getting a grader blade from Dutch when they get in. I'll report on that too.

The 46" dozer works better in dirt than the 42" blade because its much heavier. Johnny bucket is a great item for landscaping your yard. Go to the Johnny Bucket site (link on Simpletractors home page) and see what its all about. Sam

This past fall I used my plow to dig out a pond. It took awhile but worked well. I've also used it many times to finish grade my back yard for a lawn. Chris

I have a front plow ¥heavy - got used¤ which I have used once© I received a JohnnyBucket ¥JBjr¤ last week and moved 15yds of mulch on Sat© in a matter of hours© I'll definately use this more around the yard© IMHO: For picking up, moving, dumping, minor/med pushing of material, I don't think there is anything that compares in quality and price©

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like the johnnybucket is the way to go for my needs.

With no need to use the blade for snow, I'd definitely go the Johnny Bucket route. Not only can you move the dirt, but it's great for spreading it, since it rides about 1" off the ground in the dumped position... If you haven't read my Johnny Bucket article, you might want to. Then, make some kind of a "drag" to pull for the final smoothing. A piece of old chain link fence with some weight on it works good -- we use it to smooth the track and basepaths at the schools and parks here in town.[A href='http://simpletractors.com/operation/johnny_bucket_jr_.htm']http://simpletractors.com/operation/johnny_bucket_jr_.htm[/a]

Ross, I'm not sure what your tractor looks like for attachments hook-ups but on the B series a grader blade hitch is basicly a snow blade hitch mounted backwards. After useing mine for about 3 hours in rocks we call gavel here this spring it be well worth your time to make one up. Works much nicer than a front mounted blade. A bucket of some sort to move material is on the top of my need list, shipping to Alaska kinda kills buying a Johnny bucket..MPH

While its a topic, can anyone tell me how the Johnny bucket is mounted? Or a picture would be great. I didn't see anything in my brief browse. Is it just pinned on on the two normal front mounts and a connecting rod to the lift lever? I can't imagine a lift lever/hydro taking the force from trying to dig something up... Must be missing something. -R