Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BGB and Transmission grease

MrSteele

I am using a multi 85w90 grease in the boxes, but recently talked to someone that uses 00 grease in all his gear boxes, and has for years. Has anyone here tried it and what was your result, if you have? I am not considered the change completely, thinking the grease will not fill all the needle bearings in a 65 Landlord BGB that depend on splashing fluid for lubrication. However, the fluid level is at or near the bottom of those bearings and should be introduced into them during use. Any ideas?

I've seen it used in brush hog gear boxes with good results to combat leaks.  I believe there is a posting here somewhere discussing it.  

I am a strong believer in following OEM recommendations. I am not qualified to second guess the engineers who designed it. Those BGB have been doing fine for 50+ years on gear oil.

• Like 1

I saw that grease specified for an old simplicity walk-behind rototiller gearbox. I was surprised to see it, could not easily find it, and did not use it. I don't see how it could work better than good quality gear oil. Especially in an application like BGB that specifies oil.  Tom

2 hours ago, TomSchmit said:

I saw that grease specified for an old simplicity walk-behind rototiller gearbox. I was surprised to see it, could not easily find it, and did not use it.

Snapper recommends it for the old 'turtleback' rear engine riders, and it is available anywhere Snappers are sold. And, did I say PRICEY? A quart is around $16 bucks from Rotary, $30 plus in a Snapper bottle. I rebuilt a Snapper for my grandson a few years ago, and, after pricing it, went with 85w90 instead.Most of it leaked out before the season was over, and yes, I replaced the seals while I had what they call a transmission apart. He rarely plays with the Snapper anymore since he has a Ford GT to play with, much bigger and in his favorite color of blue(I got it for the engine to put in something else, just in case. Both engines turned out to be in good shape in the innards)

Anyway, I was wondering. The grease is so thick that it will not run out past a seal unless the gearbox is warm to hot.

3 hours ago, TomSchmit said:

I saw that grease specified for an old simplicity walk-behind rototiller gearbox.

I have a 52 model M1, myself. The "seals" if you can call them that, do not really ride on the shaft as most do. I would up finding some sheet nitrile at work to make them out of. Original were leather, and dried up easily, hence, they leaked. The ones I made at least rub the shaft, so I used 85w90 in that gearbox. It leaks, but not too badly. The Snapper seals are similar in nature, closing a hole but not really sealing anything

I have heard of using corn head grease in steering gear boxes of older ford tractors, as the worn seals would often let the gear oil leak right out. If the seal is bad it would definitely stay put and not leak out.

On 3/23/2020 at 10:02 AM, tadams said:

What about corn head grease for the combine corn head I have heard of guys useing it instead of 80-90

Wish I could find some washing machine wringer grease. That stuff was THICK. I do not know why I am writing in italic, I cannot seem to make this work. When I remove the Italic, then start to type, it goes right back?