Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sovereign Deck Powder Coat

Bill725

I have known for 20 years I would have to pull the trigger and have my 2000 Sovereign mower housing refinished in order to save it from paint flaking and rust. The original housing started this condition while under warranty and was replaced with a new housing. I have been using the second housing and last fall while cleaning noticed it was time to pull the trigger. I had the housing, belt covers and deflector refinished with super durable powder coat which is thicker than the standard powder coat. The super durable only comes in limited colors and that is why is it wet black. I will provide an update on the durability in the future. See attached pictures along with the board I use under the front nose of the deck to assist while siding it under the tractor.

20200326_175256.jpg

20200326_175244.jpg

20200326_175305.jpg

• Like 4

Very nice.  Looking forward to hearing about it's durability.  Hope it's a lot better than the powder coat used on the later model Sovereign frames.  In my experience, there's lots of peeling powder coat on those.  

And I like the use of the "turbo" stoneguard; I think they're the best since they strengthen the deck by tying the front and the back of the opening together.  

Now a curiosity question.  The latest deck I have is MFG# 1692890 (75th, per the operator's manual) which appears to be identical to MFG#  1691219;  they all have the round rod separating the hitch "ears" as shown in this pic of a MFG# 1691219 deck:

IMG_9606.thumb.JPG.02a7f54734f5fe68da4b450413a1d2b8.JPG

I noticed your "2000" deck has a flat plate instead of the rod.  Is that OEM, or did you replace the rod?  If you replaced the rod, why?  

Looks great. Hope it holds up.

I've been disappointed in almost everything I have ever had that was powder coated, including the body on the Legacy which is (was) double coated.

• Sad 1

I have a 2nd deck that I want to restore (I am a firm believer in having spares) and have thought about powder coating.  Did you remove everything so it was just the steel shell (no bearings, etc.?)

Mind if I ask what the cost was to have this done?

I just picked up a 17 GTH L with a deck that must have had the flaking issue.  We have all seen rusty decks, but this one was something else.  The paint was flaking off in huge chunks and all surface rust underneath.  Power washing had me picking up handfuls (literally) of paint chips, some the size of a playing card.   I haven't really gotten into it yet, but after I fully access it, it may be one to strip and rebuild as you have done.  Nice job by the looks of it!   And I was curious, so a quick search of a new deck shell to see if they are available and if so, how much, revealed yes according to Parts Tree #1685282SM.  $ 830.00!   So the investments in refurbishing an older deck that's not shot is well worth it.

Edited by Brettw

1 hour ago, Brettw said:

So the investments in refurbishing an older deck that's not shot is well worth it.

Got that right.  

• Like 1