Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity prestige no power steering or hydraulic lift

Nedd

I have a simplicity prestige with no power steering or hydraulic lift. It was working fine with no problems and I put a trickle charger on it for two days. I started it after taking off the trickle charger and that’s when I had no power steering or lift. Did putting the trickle charger on cause this problem and if so what am I looking at or do I have something else going on.

I don't know the Prestige, but I doubt the trickle charger has anything to do with your problem which is most likely hydraulic.  Is there a hydraulic "disconnect" you might have accidentally engaged?   

I'm not familiar with the plumbing on the Prestige, but on a Sovereign, if you lose the "high pressure" hydraulic circuit, PS and lift will be affected.  Might be the same on a Prestige.  A "staying open" high pressure relief valve at the charge pump or another pressure regulating component (in the hydraulic lift valve) would do this on a Sovereign.  

• Like 2

is your parking brake engaged?

Do you have forward travel?

if you do not check the belt that drives the transmission

The key information needed here is:

Does the tractor move in both directions(forward and reverse) as normal?

If not, then its probably either the push release rod is pulled out as Bill hints to, or as Ron suggests, the drive belt has come off or is broken.

If i does drive as normal, then the problem is likely with the hydraulic circuit.  Oil goes from the transmission out to the power steering first,  then to the hydraulic lift, then dumps back into the transmission. There is also a spin on hydraulic filter in that mix too. Could be a problem with any of those components preventing the oil from circulating. There is also an oil expansion tank thats supposed to have a certain amount of oil showing in it.

Edited by SmilinSam

Thanks for that info. It does drive fine both in forward and reverse. I guess I should have specified that the lift does work a little but it is very , very, slow. Thanks again 

If the spin on filter hasnt been changed in several hundred hours, you could try that. However I think it would be wishful thinking that that would fix the problem. But its a start.

Most of the Prestige complaintas( other than engine related) I am aware of deal with the power steering unit. If I had to guess, I would probably suspect that. In fact, One of my Prestiges works in every way, but the power steering is alsmost as bad a manual steering. I changed the filter, checked all the linkages, and disassembled and cleaned the steering wheel assembly. Nothing helped. The high cost of a replcement part has so far kept me from proceeding any farther. Till it takes 2 hands to steer, I'll just ignore it for now.

• Like 1

I’m at that point now it definitely takes 2 hands to steer. I am still amazed at how it was working fine with absolutely no problems when I parked it and 2 days later the power steering was gone and the lift working very, very, slow. Just wondered if anybody else has had this problem or if anybody out there can possibly explain this. Thanks 

• Like 1

I'm having a similar problem with my Landlord DLX which uses the same steering torque generator and transmission as most of the Prestige tractors. The lift seems to work OK but the power steering feels tighter than manual steering . I changed the fluid and both filters. No change. The hydro is a bit louder than it used to be, especially in cold weather. 

On my Landlord its just supposed to be a tank for expansion when hot. Most of the time there would be little or none in it. Your tractor may be different. The operator's manual will explain the transmission fluid filling/checking process. 

Well guys I bit the bullet took it into the shop after working on it myself they are telling me I need a new transmission does this sound reasonable to anyone out there

On 4/2/2020 at 11:02 AM, Nedd said:

Well guys I bit the bullet took it into the shop after working on it myself they are telling me I need a new transmission does this sound reasonable to anyone out there

It may be this is necessary, but did they explain why and what did they do for tests and diagnostics to come to this conclusion?

13 hours ago, Chris727 said:

I too also wonder how they reached that conclusion, especially as the machine still drives properly. 

Me too. I would want a detailed explanation as to why they think it needs replaced.

If the transmission is pulling the tractor around up hills and all around in both directions, cant hardly believe it would be the problem. Only way I'd even consider to pay the whoppin 4 digit figure to replace that would be that if it did not fix the problem that they would refund your money in total....and get that in writing..

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...

Well this just happened to me. Mowing with my prestige 30.  I hit something hidden in tall grass and it stopped the motor immediately. Now the power steering is heavy and the lift is very slow. The tractor still moves forward and back normal as it should. Any ideas other than what’s listed above and did the OP ever get his fixed? Thanks Dave in Maine. 

Edited by k9bitten