Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

three point hitch

christopher

Has any one made a three point hitch for their tractors. The tractor on ytmag (below) has one. looks kinda cool, and I think it might work better for some attachments. Chris

That's food for thought as I have a Sears ST-12 with a 3-pt. hitch more or less going to waste on it. Will have to keep my eyes peeled for the Sears implements. Dick

The Sears 3 point is a bad starting off point. The back of the tractor is sloped forward and because of this the design doesn't adapt at all to any of my "normal" tractors. The old Sears machines were good tough tractors but their attachments were too complicated to set up. Like anything else, once you're used to them, little things like tedious setups don't bother you..Their 3 point works just fine on their tractors...Woody

The 3 point hitch “looks” neat, but I don’t know how practical it would be on a Simplicity tractor. Garden tractors aren’t large or powerful enough to handle many 3 point attachments. Notice the location of the pivot point in the photo. To achieve lifting capacity, I believe the pivot point on most larger tractors is under or forward of the rear axle. The Simplicity “cross bar” and pin arrangement works perfectly with Simplicity rear mounted powered attachments (vacuum collector, 540 PTO, etc). The same arrangement with the Simplicity “rear lift” performs flawlessly for rear powered attachments that must be raised and lowered (tiller, revitalizer, etc). Add the Simplicity “one point hitch” (sleeve hitch) and all sorts of aftermarket attachments can be used (plow, disc, cultivator, etc). If you have a 3 point attachment, it may be easier to modify it to work with the Simplicity lift and hitch. If you do add a 3 point hitch, design it as an independent module that can be easily removed so that Simplicity attachments can still be used.

I like that hitch design. Some flat bar, a couple of rods, a couple of turnbuckles, a drill, a vice, and a hammer. In a little while I could have a three point. By the way, I just realized that I don't have any attachments for a 3-point hitch. Guess I have to convince my wife that I need some. Rod H.

Many people have access to the attachments used on the Sears (Roper) tractors. These were a three point hitch similar to the picture. A friend has plows, cultivators, rakes, etc. all set up with this type of hitch on his Sears. In fact he gave me a 10 inch Simplicity plow set up for a sleve hitch, and along with that he also gave me the beam without plow point that was set up for three point. Both are the same size, just different hook-ups. Rod H. Rod H.

Rod, There are always Sears (Roper) 3 point hitches (like this) on eBay. Shouldn't take much to add a few pieces so that it would "clip" to the rear of a Simplicity. That way Sears (Roper) attachments could be used without compromising the Simplicity design. http://abacus.sj.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_5703f82eda2bc2615757ea720/i-1.JPG

Dutch, That is very right. I'm somewhat like you. Why buy one when I can take measurements from my friend's tractor, and build one. Just as much fun to build something as it is to use it. I'm over 50 and still got to have my toys. Rod H.

I've been quietly putting together a 3 point setup which will be removable at any time so that the tractor can remain completely stock. It is fashioned after the three point I currently own for my Cub Cadets. Here's a picture of the Cub Cadet version. All of my components are already fabricated including the main adaptor plate. You will be able to use your existing Simplicity sleeve hitch adaptor and accessories while the three point is installed. The biggest problem I had to solve was the rear lift and the top link attachment point being in conflict with each other. My design involves replacing the existing lift fulcrum with my own design which is a two piece part. I have no intentions of selling this attachment setup. Plans will be made available to everyone here. I'm making all the components myself but my candle only has two ends so my many projects tend to slow me down. The picture you see here has no spring lift assist showing but the Simplicity version will have nearly 200lbs of assist. The three point conversion looked "simple" at first but it took a lot of head scratching to come up with a design that's reversible. I also wanted to easily use my existing Simplicity attachments.. Here's the picture of my Cub Cadet version with the new version to follow soon. By the way, the Cub Cadet parts you see there in the picture(minus some lift bars etc) cost $750. from Cub Cadet and does not accommodate my Cub Cadet rototiller??? The setup also doesn't allow me to use any of the sleeve hitch attachments unless I use an additional adaptor! Woody http://image.photoloft.com/opx-bin/OpxFIDISA.dll?s=cano&src=/PhotoLoft/Asset19/2002/05/09/9419/9419196_0_5709.fpx,0,0,1,1,512,384,FFFFFF

Three point is two bottom bars and one top link with the top link anchored to something solid (not moving). Plus you need to lift the bottom bars and you need adjustment of at least one lower bar for height...Too "Simple" won't work..You wouldn't believe how many Cub Cadet people call a sleeve hitch a three point..When I started looking for a real three point setup for my Cub Cadet I got disgusted listening to people attempting to convince me that a sleeve hitch setup was a 3 point...Woody

I was going to be "Simple". Two flat bars pinned to the bottom holes of the Simplicity rear mount, and the lift bar being the third. Have to get the lengths right, and do some bending to make them wide enough apart. Don't really see the need for anything fancy. Rod H.

Woody, I know what you mean about the Cub Cadet "3 point" IH actually called their rear lift a 3 point, and then you also have the brinly sleeve hitch attachment that mounts to that to lift sleeve attachments. The original Cub attachements mount to the Cub hitch itself without the sleeve adapter. I am sure you know this but the point is it is so difficult to talk with different collector groups abouts some item due to different non-standard terms. When I think 3-point, I think catagory 0/1/2 or 3. I disagree that a Sears 3-point setup would not be a good starting pont due to the slanted mount, it would be rather easy to include the slant into the mount that would be needed to fit another brand of machine. I have an extra Sears 3-pt that I plan on making an adapter for to fit on by B-210 so I can use the many Sears 3-pt attachments on it. Dutch, A lot of the Cat "0" 3 point attachments are small and lightweight and are perfectly suited for use on these size garden tractors. I agree that Cat "1" and above are just too heavy. Rob

Dutch, As you suspect, my reason for messing with the 3 point is the look. My objective was to keep using the much easier to hook up attachments I already own and to allow others the opportunity as well if they build the 3 point fixture. I figured more people might try making a setup as long as the tractor wouldn't be altered. My tractor of choice for the 3 point is the Model 700's again for the look. The complexity of powering the attachments seems to coincide with the extra effort to use the 3 point implements. I must be lucky since most of my tractors run just fine. I like tinkering anyway and I NEVER get mad at my tractor. My neighbor Tom did his garden, about the same size plus a little with his cousins borrowed 2 bottom. Instead of using his Massey Harris Pony, he drove home his Ford diesel tractor from work. He blasted through the garden in no more than 10 minutes not including discing.. I think your plowing looks straighter this year.. Rob, I picked up an Original today. I'm showing someone else's machine too lazy to take the picture. It was a 10 hour round trip..Woody http://image.photoloft.com/opx-bin/OpxFIDISA.dll?s=cano&src=/PhotoLoft/Asset19/2002/05/11/9430/9430279_0_2506.fpx,0,0,1,1,512,384,FFFFFF

Rob, I agree that category "0" attachments are perfectly suited for garden tractors. My point is, to use them properly you need a rather complicated 3 point hitch (as Woody correctly stated above). When I wanted to mount a plow, I first found an old Sears that required a 3 point hitch. Rather than go to the trouble of building a 3 point hitch, I found another old plow that had probably been pulled by a mule. After making a very simple yoke to fit the Simplicity hitch, I was able to hook it up, lift and lower it, and with a lot of helpful advice from club members got it adjusted for proper pitch and angle. Just polished it up (Kent's great advice) and used it again this week. My 7010 will pull 10" furrows without straining. Also found an old mule powered disc and made the same type yoke. All I'm saying is, Simplicity designed a great hitch system that works, why do a lot of work to re-invent the wheel. Are there any category "0" attachments that do not have a non-3 point equivalent? Don't take me wrong, the 3 point hitch does look neat. I may even build one someday just to say I have one (may even get around to painting my 7010). But, for now I just want to get jobs done with strong running tractors and working implements.