Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2 bottom plow

phillobbezoo

I’ve been putting this together the last couple of weeks. Turned out good, or at least I think so. Tractor seemed to pull it fine, but after an inch or so of rain I’ll have to wait to run it again. 

86DB721E-E6D5-4F03-AB7B-4D9C44BAC92C.jpeg

41EC7E8C-BF18-461A-9EF2-A231E6895404.jpeg

640233EB-9404-4E52-A2E4-96A9B1C56B02.jpeg

E67295FC-EE09-41FF-AC8A-DFF94C8F89EE.jpeg

C388CDB7-2DAF-460E-9376-E9B0D601CD4F.jpeg

• Like 12

Suburb-boy question:

Do all earth turning plows turn the dirt the same direction?  Meaning the plows shown above turn the dirt from left to right (sitting in seat reference). 

Do any plows turn the dirt right to left? 

Or are those kind only used in the southern hemisphere?  sm00

On bigger farm tractors, Allis Chalmers made a plow with two sets of moldboards, one turning in one direction and the other in the other direction.  The second set were above the ones in the ground, and when you got to the end of the furrow, you would raise the plow, rotate it a half turn, and go right back up the same furrow.  I never used one but have seen them at shows, not sure how popular they were.  Never saw one on a garden tractor.

Steve

rollover plow.png

• Like 1

I like the two bottom plows, but I don't have a tractor that would pull one, I have plowed with my Allis T816 which is a bit light but pulls a 10 inch bottom ok, and am now setting up my Agco Allis 918 which should be a better plow tractor.  Hope to use it this fall.  Nice fab job on both of those plows!

Steve

• Like 2

I was so focused on the plow pics I completely wiffed on the background in the pictures.   Holy Powermax series Batman!!   You're hoarding those like toilet paper!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Lol, I’ve been collecting them for awhile now. My goal was always to have one of each and last fall the opportunity for the wards twin twenty came and I wasn’t going to pass it up. Hopefully in a month or so I’ll be able to post pics of an even more rare attachment that I have coming. 

1 hour ago, phillobbezoo said:

Lol, I’ve been collecting them for awhile now. My goal was always to have one of each and last fall the opportunity for the wards twin twenty came and I wasn’t going to pass it up. Hopefully in a month or so I’ll be able to post pics of an even more rare attachment that I have coming. 

Let's hope it doesn't take a month...

On 3/29/2020 at 9:07 AM, PhanDad said:

Do all earth turning plows turn the dirt the same direction?  Meaning the plows shown above turn the dirt from left to right (sitting in seat reference). 

Do any plows turn the dirt right to left? 

In mule or horse drawn days, there was a plow called a Hillside Plow. It was a single bottom plow, made to turn ground one way, then when you got to the end, flip it over to plow back to the other end, throwing dirt the same way as you did on the last pass. That way, you could always throw the dirt uphill. Throwing it downhill would remove the hill in time, or create great gullies during the rainy seasons

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 720nut said:

Phil, you going to post a video of ya plowing ?

Is pretty wet around here. It will be awhile before I’ll do any plowing 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2020 at 7:02 PM, goodtimo said:

Do you guys use fluid in your tires or wheel weights when you pull the 2 bottoms?

I don’t run anything for weights or fluid in the tires. I should tho...

• Like 1

On 4/12/2020 at 7:02 PM, goodtimo said:

Do you guys use fluid in your tires or wheel weights when you pull the 2 bottoms?

I used 9 or 9.50x16 bar tire on my 620 and pulled my plow just fine , no weight

Hmm, we always had fluid filled ags with duals on our 4040 when doing dirt work. BUT we never had a moldboard plow to pull.  I can't remember the size of the tires because it's been too long ago, but I know they fit as rear tires on our Gleaner AII combine because that's where the duals ended up when we sold the 4040. haha

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Do you guys have any need for a gauge wheel on the back to help control depth?  Or you just drop it and go, adjusting it as needed with the lever?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Snojetter
    • JAV13037
    • andrew68
    • maxwood
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts