Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7117 muffler hack?

TonyTractor

HI-I am trying to avoid spending $220 for a new 1666923SM muffler 7000 series. I tried the setup in the picture with muffler tape, no go. I still have to original muffler but one side cap blew out in the field & can't find it. I tried to clamp on an can with some hole drilled in it & it blew right off . I do not have a welder. Is there any slip on type or repair of the original muffler?  Included a pic of the 7117 with original land plow just for reference .

muffler hack.jpg

rightside7117 - Copy.jpg

Since you're not running an OEM Simplicity KT17 muffler, I"ve seen pics of other KT17 engines fitted what I believe are Briggs "pepperpot" mufflers such as this:

s-l1600.jpg

They are 1" pipe connection - about 1-5/16" OD.  Check to see if they fit inside the engine exhaust fitting.

A want ad in our classified section might find you an OEM muffler or eBay may have a serviceable OEM muffler available.  

And your tractor looks to be in good shape.  Welcome to the club.  

Thank's PhanDad, the  inside exhaust diameter is 1" so it may be worth a try. The ones I tried to fit ( pictured) have a 3/4" pipe, to narrow. The muffler tape only lasted two outing's and cracked. 

The original mufflers for the kt17 engine are made by the Nelson Co. ( it's embossed on the muffler).

I found one (Nelson) on eBay from a JD 317 with the kt17 engine. The 'tail' pipe comes out of the side, not the bottom like the 7117.

It's only $12.99 + small shipping fee. I may try to hack that as I still have the original muffler that was on the 7117 with the downward tail pipe. 

Thanks again.

TT