Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity tie rod end 2164272SM

MTopp

Hey all, does anyone know of a cheaper or aftermarket option for part number 2164272SM? Also is it a 1/2"-20 thread? One of mine has a cracked casing. 

How much movement are these supposed to have? -Seems both of mine wiggle a good bit, not like the balljoints/tie rod ends on a car.

I think it wasn't left hand thread, but I'll have to double check - no reason it should be, can't turn the draglink when its mounted anyway it seems

Definitely finer thread than 1/2-13, closest the hardware store had when I tried to match the threads.

20200321_155053.jpg

Refer to this post:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/10662-steering-fix-tricks-homelite-t12/?tab=comments#comment-10665

I don't have any info as to exactly what I bought, but I cut the flat off the drag link and threaded a female rod end onto the cut off drag link.  

Others have replaced the OEM part with standard ball joints, this post mentions part numbers:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/54022-steering-arm-ball-joints-nla/?tab=comments#comment-148718 

Edited by PhanDad
spelling
  • Like 1

IS there a slotted head on the front end of that link? Old links were adjustable..tighten the screw to take up slack in the joint. Most folks do not realize the adjustment if the have it. They also do not know that a little grease goes a long way. The newer style links are not adjustable, but are available most anywhere lawnmower pars are sold. The hardware store you were at, most likely has one

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PhanDad said:

Refer to this post:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/10662-steering-fix-tricks-homelite-t12/?tab=comments#comment-10665

I don't have any info as to exactly what I bought, but I cut the flat off the drag link and threaded a female rod end onto the cut off drag link.  

Others have replaced the OEM part with standard ball joints, this post mentions part numbers:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/54022-steering-arm-ball-joints-nla/?tab=comments#comment-148718 

Thanks, I think I found one of those, but not the other.

9 hours ago, MrSteele said:

IS there a slotted head on the front end of that link? Old links were adjustable..tighten the screw to take up slack in the joint. Most folks do not realize the adjustment if the have it. They also do not know that a little grease goes a long way. The newer style links are not adjustable, but are available most anywhere lawnmower pars are sold. The hardware store you were at, most likely has one

No, I thought there was, but checked and it doesn't. May do what Phandad suggested, was thinking doing that, just need to find the right balljoint

• Like 1

Part numbers in case someone needs them: (McMaster-Carr)

4444T3 Ball Joint with Grease Fitting, Rod End, 1/2"-20 Thread, Right-Hand

4737T6 Ball Joint Rod End Seals for 1/2" Rod End ID

Forgot to buy bolts thru them, but I can get them locally.

• Like 1