Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Battery size?

Redbeard86

Whats the proper battery size for my 900 series Deutz allis GT it didn’t have a battery in it when I got it and I have a regular mower battery in it now but it’s really small and I’d like to put the right one in it. 

22NF - it has the hold down lips on the ends of the battery

But many use a 51R, basically the same physical size, but no hold down lips.  Here's a pic of a 51R in my Homelite T-12 showing there's nothing for the hold down plate to press on except the side of the battery:

Battery_0003.jpg.9b1669abb4610ffa3239840e71c080ec.jpg

Edited by PhanDad
Uploaded pic

My A/C 917H uses the 51R, as it's held down with 2 rubber bands. That same battery is also used in my wife's Toyota Highlander Hybrid!

I use a 380 CCA battery, lawn and garden sized. That size battery is fine for starter generators, but can be deadly to a gear starter if the engine does not start easily. Gear starters on old Briggs and Kohlers cannot handle the amps over too long a time, and simply burn up. If you are going to use a big battery, be certain your engine starts easily and quickly once the starter is engaged

• 2 weeks later...

I switched over to regular size garden tractor batteries, decades ago, in both 2012, and 728, and have never had a problem.