Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

OrangeMetalGuy

Washing mower desk

OrangeMetalGuy

Am I asking for trouble if I wash (using carwash soap and a gentle rinse from a garden hose) my 48" desk?

I don't want to cause bearing issues... I've had to replace them before and don't want to have to go through that again.

jlasater

I never wash mower decks with water. I blow them off with an air nozzle and go at clumps with a plastic putty knife as required. It's a little more work, but I've never had rust problems or bearings die from rust and water.

PhanDad

I only wash the bottom of the deck when I'm going to repaint.  The deck is upside down and I only wet the deck shell and the side of the arbor housing.  I haven't had a rusty bearing issue yet.  

Other than that, I scrape the deck as @jlasater does.  

I've also found that if you use a vacuum attachment at the end of the season to pick up leaves, the scraping action of the leaves does a decent job removing stuck on grass.  

My Homelite T-12 is my main mowing tractor (cuts higher) and it doesn't have a vacuum system so it gets a through scraping at the end of the season.   

ShaunE

I remove my deck covers & tip upside down.  Then I hit it with a pressure washer every spring & remove every trace of remaining grass.  Dry in the sun & spray the underside with a graphite based coating & put about 10 squirts of grease into the grease fittings. 

Have I had to replace bearings?  Yes, I have, as none of my machines were ever purchased by me new.  Have I ever had to change bearings a second time?  No.

MrSteele

Regular maintenance and cleaning for painting is 2 different methods of cleaning.

Regular cleaning after use? A leaf blower or air compressor, then water from a hose end nozzle

Getting ready for paint is an entirely different issue, and sometimes involves sandblasting. For heavy cleaning, I use Purple Power sprayed on as a coarse mist, allow to sit a while but not dry, then hose off with that hose end sprayer. Stubborn spots, Purple Power and a bristle brush used to clean masonry, then hose with water. Once the deck dries, it is usually ready for paint. Depending on the shape of the deck, rusty spots might require more aggressive means like a wire brush, spot prime, then paint.

As for bearing problems? They are sealed, you should not have a problem with water on the deck. Cutting wet grass would be worse than anything you can do with a hose, unless you turn the water on the bearings for a long time