Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

E-Z Rake front setup on Allis 917

Alltractoredup

Been working on my custom E-Z Rake front mount setup on my 917H.  My goal is to run the rake, deck and PECO hang on back vacuum all at the same time.  I still need the vac setup. Closes one I can find complete and in good shape is Michigan.  

Clutch install and switch was pretty straight forward.  I used the circuit board as a positive power source.  Same board electric lift is wired too if I remember correctly.

Pictured is what I have so far.  I need to figure out a belt tensioner setup lever.  

Anybody have a similar setup on their 900/7100 series or newer Sovereigns?

Any feedback or suggestions encouraged.

20200405_163319.jpg

20200405_163327.jpg

20200405_163337.jpg

20200405_163401.jpg

29 minutes ago, Alltractoredup said:

I need to figure out a belt tensioner setup lever.  

I can't see exactly what you're using for a mule drive, but I'd suggest the RBT 2 pulley snowblower hitch with spring tensioner:

New_HItch_0008.jpg.7896f37e82b255295a7156220f1151f6.jpg

Or a modified FDT 2 pulley snowblower hitch:

Old_Hitch_0011.jpg.c6dfd39f0137ce8c9d32560dbd4af43e.jpg

I cut the engagement arm off so the hitch would fit on an RBT.  The manual clutch on the hitch was engaged at all times since I also used an electric PTO to run the snowblower.    

Used the 1/2" rope trick to determine the belt length required.  

1 hour ago, PhanDad said:

I can't see exactly what you're using for a mule drive, but I'd suggest the RBT 2 pulley snowblower hitch with spring tensioner:

New_HItch_0008.jpg.7896f37e82b255295a7156220f1151f6.jpg

Or a modified FDT 2 pulley snowblower hitch:

Old_Hitch_0011.jpg.c6dfd39f0137ce8c9d32560dbd4af43e.jpg

I cut the engagement arm off so the hitch would fit on an RBT.  The manual clutch on the hitch was engaged at all times since I also used an electric PTO to run the snowblower.    

Used the 1/2" rope trick to determine the belt length required.  

I have two hitches that match your orange hitch.  I also cut the engagement rod arm off one of mine to fit.  

As far as your belt, did you keep it tensioned at all times?  Did this make getting hitch off a hassle?  

Edited by Alltractoredup

I wanted to purchase an Easy Rake for my 7119.  Eric, was good enough to let me take it and try it to make sure it worked.  He was running it on a 3400 series.  It did not work properly on my 7119.  the mount and the frame were an issue as I recall, it wouldn't lift far enough.  Might be different  if the hitch is set up differently than the one I looked at, but the 3400 / 7000 frames being shorter was enough to make it not work properly on my 7100.  Ok for flat runs, but as I recall, the slightest dip, ditch swale, etc caused issues.   Just an FYI

21 minutes ago, Alltractoredup said:

As far as your belt, did you keep it tensioned at all times?  Did this make getting hitch off a hassle?  

If I remember correctly, when I mounted the snowblower, I would have the hitch untensioned.  I would route the belt, then using vicegrips, I"d engage the clutch and tension the belt. 

I think I normally left it tensioned.  But it's possible I might have untensioned it if the snowblower wasn't going to be used for awhile; it would have depended on how much of a PIA it was to engage/disengage the clutch with vicegrips - unfortunately CRS has removed that memory.  

A brain drizzle.

The RBT 2 pulley hitches are a couple inches longer than the FDT hitches.  If @Brettw was using an FDT hitch, maybe using an RBT hitch would help the lifting issue.  

I was running a FDT snowblower on my 16GTH-L with the cutoff FDT hitch.  It was a tight fit for the lift arm:

Old_Hitch_Mounted_0004.jpg.478874ae5dc811d7d70594ed4a39d200.jpg

Hitch Comparison:

Old_New_Compare_0015.jpg.839fcf69145b9b9452ac0ab16b52072f.jpg

More room for the lift arm but tight pulley clearance with the RBT hitch:

New_Hitch_Mounted_0002.jpg.51d42a2540a4d0f4bfca2adfde6bcc17.jpg

I have a Simplicity vacuum set-up for B-series that I will be advertising soon. Includes hoses and deck adaptor. Looking to get $100 for it. Located in Milwaukee suburbs. Contact me if you are interested. Tom

7 minutes ago, PhanDad said:

The RBT 2 pulley hitches are a couple inches longer than the FDT hitches.  If @Brettw was using an FDT hitch, maybe using an RBT hitch would help the lifting issue. 

Looking at your pictures, Bill, I think that was the problem.  The pulleys hit the frame so it could not be lifted high enough.  It couldn't float properly and could either damage the rake or the lawn if you were going though a ditch with any steepness to it.

2 minutes ago, Brettw said:

The pulleys hit the frame so it could not be lifted high enough.

The pulleys don't move vertically.  The pivot point is at the end of the hitch.  But the lift arm might for the EZ rake, I don't know.  

Also, I would think the FDT pulleys could be used on the RBT hitch if that would help with belt alignment.  

6 minutes ago, PhanDad said:

The pulleys don't move vertically.  The pivot point is at the end of the hitch.  But the lift arm might for the EZ rake, I don't know. 

This is true.  I guess I am not remembering correctly.  I just recall it would dig in if there were enough of an incline.  Wish I could remember the specifics, but it's 5 or more years ago.

8 minutes ago, Brettw said:

Wish I could remember the specifics, but it's 5 or more years ago.

CRS is my excuse. You’re too young to use it. sm00

• Like 1

Awesome responses!!  Thanks for the tips and things to further consider and possibly engineer.  I do want it to be able to float to the contour of the lawn somewhat.  

I had considered putting springs on the gauge wheels but not sure if that would help or hurt performance.  

I will keep the trial and error going

1 hour ago, TomSchmit said:

I have a Simplicity vacuum set-up for B-series that I will be advertising soon. Includes hoses and deck adaptor. Looking to get $100 for it. Located in Milwaukee suburbs. Contact me if you are interested. Tom

I have a 48" deck, not sure if that matters.  Im looking only for the Hang on back system.  Not sure if that is what you have. Thanks

Edited by Alltractoredup

Yes, the unit that I have is the "hang on the back' blower powered by the tractor's PTO pulley on the transmission. The deck adaptor (I think it is commonly called a "boot") should fit a 48" deck. It is in quite good condition and the blower bearing spins smoothly and appears to be in good condition. I have it stored in my apartment garage a few miles away and can get the ID number and a photo or 2 tomorrow, if you are interested. Let me know! Tom

Edited by TomSchmit

4 hours ago, TomSchmit said:

Yes, the unit that I have is the "hang on the back' blower powered by the tractor's PTO pulley on the transmission. The deck adaptor (I think it is commonly called a "boot") should fit a 48" deck. It is in quite good condition and the blower bearing spins smoothly and appears to be in good condition. I have it stored in my apartment garage a few miles away and can get the ID number and a photo or 2 tomorrow, if you are interested. Let me know! Tom

I will be travelling to West Bend area to pick up a tiller tomorrow morning.  If you can get pics that would be great. Not sure if I can make it down tomorrow if it looks good.  

On 4/5/2020 at 7:11 PM, TomSchmit said:

I have a 48" deck, not sure if that matters.  When you get a chance send pics to my messages.  Thanks

I will get pics a little later this morning. Fastest way to get some pics to you is by text message....can you send a text message to my cell phone at 414-303-3121 so I can capture your number? I am located about 15 minutes south of West Bend.

Tom

Edited by TomSchmit

4 hours ago, TomSchmit said:

I will get pics a little later this morning. Fastest way to get some pics to you is by text message....can you send a text message to my cell phone at 414-303-3121 so I can capture your number? I am located about 15 minutes south of West Bend.

Tom

Hey Tom, busy morning. We actually left very early and arrived back in Rochester at 1pm.  I would still like pics when you have time.  I will text you shortly.  My number is 715-338-1289. Thanks, Nick

Here are today's accomplishments with pictures.  I tested out the pulley system with engine running and PTO engaged.....SUCCESS!!

I will be tweaking pulley angles a touch to better align belt.  I also added a spring loaded tensioner which allows me to remove belt quickly and easily.  From pics online, the deere setup is similar to mine.

Brackets are spot welded for trial, definitely will weld them complete.

Lift rod next task, looks to be pretty straight forward once I get it all aligned.

20200407_170138.jpg

20200407_170152.jpg

20200408_141941.jpg

20200408_185910.jpg

20200408_185927.jpg

20200408_185934.jpg

20200408_185910.jpg

20200408_185917.jpg

20200408_185934.jpg

• Like 5