Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Long-Term Paint Solution

OrangeMetalGuy

My 716H is due for paint.  When I painted it about 12 years ago I used the Chevrolet Engine orange from DupliColor.  It looked really good but over time has really started flaking off in some parts such as the dash tower.

On the hood, it is peeling up in many small spots.

I'd like to redo the tractor with something much more durable.  

What are my options?  I don't own a large compressor and don't have a spray gun.  I have considered taking the larger pieces to a local autobody place and having them do the painting.

Appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks.

Always used Valspar AC orange on all my 700/900 series. Bought it in spray cans from Blaines Farm & Fleet.

I assume they still make it, but havnt bought any for some time now.

Flaking can be due to the prep-work and not getting good adhesion. Did you sand or strip the paint? Is the primer flaking too? A proper job of abrasive blasting would give you a good surface profile to have a better bond. 

Edited by Chris727
  • Like 3

Keep in mind that you are never going to get an automotive quality paint job (from a longevity standpoint) out of a rattle can. Catalyzed equipment enamel will be better, but in orange will still fade. I didn't use to understand this, but primer choice is key for long term adhesion. First coat of primer should be an epoxy base, especially if bare metal.

• Like 2

I agree on proper prep work and the right primer 

I'm wondering if auto body shops would do this type of work, that way I'd get a really good quality job including clear coat.  That would be the high-end solution.

The other option would be to obtain spray equipment and fo it myself.  Can the electric sprayers do this type of job?  Like one of those HVLP electric ones?

Edited by OrangeMetalGuy
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

Always used Valspar AC orange on all my 700/900 series. Bought it in spray cans from Blaines Farm & Fleet.

I assume they still make it, but havnt bought any for some time now.

farm and fleet in geneseo droped the valspar equiptment paint line

5 hours ago, OrangeMetalGuy said:

I agree on proper prep work and the right primer 

I'm wondering if auto body shops would do this type of work, that way I'd get a really good quality job including clear coat.  That would be the high-end solution.

The other option would be to obtain spray equipment and fo it myself.  Can the electric sprayers do this type of job?

Oh you can probably find one (a shop) that will do it, but you won't like the price. when I painted my Legacy about this time last year (theres a post about it) I got a quote from a local shop (if I did the prep work and bought the paint). The quoted price made my mind up before I got to the door. Typical electric sprayer, nah. I did see a electric HVLP rig advertised on TV the other day that looked promising. Probably good enough for equipment enamel, but I wouldn't run a urethane through it. To be honest, you can get pretty good results with one of the HF top trigger touch-up guns and a smaller compressor if you have the patience to paint just one part at a time over a few days. Painted a complete cub with one once, turned out really nice, but you have to fill the cup a lot,

Edited by RAC
  • Like 1

If you decide to spray, and want to go cheap, go to NAPA and have them mix you some of their economy catalyzed auto enamel. It'll still be better than the equipment enamel you get at RK or TSC, and will be dry to the touch in about 10 minutes.

• Like 1

Just my $.02 but this is what I've used on several, liked the shine and durability , I did add a little more hardner than the can says.

I've had very good luck with it , can or spray gun, the weight show's ya just about the shade of orange

DSCN3561.JPG

• Like 1