Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cone clutch noise

rbstuartjr

So I took my new to me Sovereign to mow today and when I engaged the pto clutch she screamed a bit longer than my other tractors when engaging.  The clutch held and mowed just fine. When looking at the pto clutch, the end of the double  pulleys are brightly polished And shiny, compared to just dull metal on my other tractors. So she seems to be slipping more when engaging. I adjusted the engagement/ disengagement lever so that it was in spec, and made no difference.  So during engagement she screams longer and actually sounds like a grinding sound then engages. The engines bogs momentarily then catches up. I am engaging at 3/4 throttle like I have for years. I have a 910 that I’m repairing, which I have had for 30 years, and checked it’s clutch lining, and  it’s like brand new.  Never had a cone clutch go bad on me. Usually, for me, it’s a quick chirp then off to the races.
        So, is this the beginning of the cone clutch lining going bad or is the engagement spring behind the pulleys weakening, what do you guys think?

Close inspection should be able to tell you how good your lining is.  If you are nearly metal on metal when engaged (engine not running) that would be a start.  If that's the case, time to pull the cone clutch and visually inspect and likely replace.  I would doubt the spring is bad, but it certainly is possible.  You should be able to feel that resistance when disengaging, and compare it to your other tractor/s?

The spring resistance is definitely lighter on this tractor than my others. I am going to try to pull the clutch later today and see what it looks like. 

So I took off the cone clutch, had to use a pulley to get it off the shaft. The lining looked fine, no evidence of any metal on metal contact under the bell or on the pulley. I cleaned the surface rust off the shaft and on the bell where the it goes on the shaft. Put the cone clutch back on and torqued the nut on.  
      Started the tractor and engaged the clutch at 3/4 throttle, no chirping, screeching nothing. Disengaged the clutch, put it to full throttle, then re engaged the clutch and the only sound was belt squeal. I did this 10 times and the only sound I could hear was belt squeal when engaging. No more chatter or screeching from the cone clutch. Don’t know what I did to fix it, but it sounds a lot better. Hope it stays that way.

• Like 2