Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ka-Pow! Update

Brent_Baumer

Well, looked all around for Timeserts and Kleenserts for my stripped out sparkplug hole in the Kohler K341. Nobody around here has them, or has heard of them. Everyone carries or installs Heli-coils. Going rate was about $40-$45 for the kit and insert. Ended up taking the head to BK Machine in Muncie. For $26.34 I got the helicoil installed, the head surfaced, a new head gasket and a new spark plug. Put her back together a little bit ago and she's workin' fine so far. Thanks for all the help. Saved me from buying a new (used) cylinder head. Brent

When I took the head in they asked me if I wanted it surfaced. I told them it had already been done at least once a couple years ago and didn't know how much more they could take off. The machinist said it is possible to cut too much off, have too high of compression and have to use 2 head gaskets. I didn't ask how you could tell if it had too much compression. How would you tell? The starter not be able to overcome the compression stroke? I think this engine has some sort of compression relief when starting but am not sure without looking back in the manual. Any idea? Thanks, Brent

Hi, I would suspect that the main problem would be detonation, [ping] or pre ignition knock. Back in the early 80s when gas went to crap. We had a couple of k341 that would mow for about 15 mins in August heat and sound like a hand full of bolts had been dumped in the cylinder, nothing fixed it until we machined about 040 out of the top of the combustion chamber. Fixed it, I believe some of the supercede head numbers have more volume, lower compression ratio, as I have only seen the problem with early engines. The problem came with the octane drop in the early 80s. If your compression is above 75 or 80 lbs sq in check your compression relief in the camshaft for proper lift. Good luck, Al Eden

The only problem that I know of related to compression on these engines is "overheating". As you raise the compression, a lot more heat is generated in the engine. I have been running high compression heads on pulling tractors for several years on regular gas with no starting problems and no detonation or ping. Both of my heads are stock but have been milled .060 which is way more than a cleanup cut. They sure run good on the track with these heads, but would definitely overheat in long term usage. Rod H.