Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Baby needs new shoes

dhoadley

My A/C 917H had a flat right rear tire last fall. I have a substantial hill in the back and was struggling with reliable traction going up in spots. I have wheel weights and was considering loading the tires, but this gave me the opportunity to go all in. My DeeStone 23-10.5/12 were supposed to arrive Monday, but the Easter bunny came early this year.

DSC02524.JPG.67507670f113363759ca6b2c6560247a.JPG

I'll get some valve stems from NAPA, and Lowes has windshield washer fluid @ $2.48/gal. I'll document my efforts.

• Like 8

I do love ags on these machines. If my Sovereigns didn’t have newer tires on them when I got them, they would have the same ties on them.

Edited by rbstuartjr
  • Like 2

The patient is about 3/4 mile from my house, at a 2-family rental property I have. I load up the pickup with what I think I'll need.

DSC02525.JPG.9a573dd7f8d716d0c874f612d9351bd3.JPG

I arrive about 11:00am.

DSC02526.JPG.bfbaf1f2b6ab2875220cd3f793e3912b.JPG

I remove the tire and the contest begins. I'm losing the early rounds and make several trips back to the house for more stuff. Persistance pays off and the tire is removed at 2:00pm.

DSC02527.JPG.fae867e15dbbde555537557d4c5336df.JPG

I wire brush the inside of the rim and hit it with a coat of primer. while I wait for it to dry, I drain gas from the snowblowers and put them away; remove snowblower from Broadmoor, drain & fill oil, mount deck. I put wheel bearing grease on the bead of the new tire, installed a new valve stem, and the contest renews. 45 minutes later its mounted.

DSC02528.JPG.dc19d9d6fc32497b0a773e41c811bc27.JPG

I inflated the tire to set the bead, let the air back out and pried the tire down at the valve stem. I poured about 5 1/2 gals into the crack.

DSC02529.JPG.b49b06210d95dc580830ca8a866ea293.JPG

DSC02530.JPG.5c321a87e7e6b9ccdc57fc75b04ea954.JPG

The bead set easily. I over-inflated until the leaks at the bead stopped and then deflated to 15 psi. Mounted back on the tractor and called it a win at about 4:00pm. I'll do the other side next weekend when I've recovered.

DSC02531.JPG.6fc2ca12f3ed0b457c25c4788fd12013.JPG

Edited by dhoadley
  • Like 1

Looks good. I’ve always wanted to add liquid ballast to my garden tractors. I have just run wheel weights on my machines. Having grown up on a farm, learned early on that tractors need ballast get all available torque to the ground or tires just spin.

• Like 1

I just put tubes in 'em and done.

Never mind, I reread the post and see you out new tires on.  Very good!

Edited by OrangeMetalGuy

• 2 months later...

So I finally did the second tire today. 5 minutes to remove tire & rim from the tractor, 5 MINUTES to remove the tire from the rim! That tire changer paid for itself right there. It took 50 minutes to get the new tire on. :Awe: I set the bead, was letting the air out when it occurred to me, "These tires are directional. I wonder if I put them on correctly?" I had not. 5 minutes to remove the tire and 5 minutes to remount it properly. :good: Loaded with just under 6 gallons of washer fluid, remounted on tractor, and now I have a matched set. I highly recommend HF tire changer.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, MRR said:

I too have the HF tire changer...definitely worth it!!

Ditto.  If for nothing more than to break the bead.  But yes, they are great for the 12".  Not so much for the smaller fronts as far as removal and mounting.  But the ~ 50 bux is well worth it. 

On 6/14/2020 at 7:45 PM, dhoadley said:

That tire changer paid for itself right there

I set mine up with threaded concrete anchors in the floor, I remove the bolts when not in use and slather Neversieze on the anchors and install domed bolts that are nearly flush with the floor until the next time needed.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Brettw said:

I set mine up with threaded concrete anchors in the floor, I remove the bolts when not in use and slather Neversieze on the anchors and install domed bolts that are nearly flush with the floor until the next time needed.

We have 4 x 4 pieces of plywood at work, so I grabbed a 3/4" thick one and mounted it in the center of that. Was plenty stable.

I just recently put a set of 23x10.5 Deestones on my 314. Was very east to change using 2 tire spoons from HF. Tires were not smushed flat so there was no problem seating the beads. Use dish soap for removal/install and life will be much easier.

• Like 1