Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Brakes on an AC720/Powermax

MDD

It's my undestanding that you can't get the brake parts/linings from Simplicity anymore. It will be interesting to watch the reply's and see if anyone has any tricks???

How difficult is it to recondition the braking system on these tractors? I know there is a brake assembly and a set of brake pads. Has anyone gone through and completed this repair? Thank You

I am in the same boat Mark with my powermax.So i will wait to see what the boys have to say.---Ron B

I bought a set of discs(4)about a year ago, I belive I bought them from Jack's Small Engine. After taking down the gear boxes and pulling everything apart I found the real problem is the gearbox seals, where the axle shafts exit the transmission. If these are not replaced the Discs will soon be oil soaked again and you will be back in the same old brakeless boat. In all likelyhood you could dip your present discs in solvent,removing most of the oil, and reuse them. When comparing my used discs with new ones I didn't see much wear. I don't think these brakes ever lived up to their potential even when the tractor was new. Of course I didn't have one then so I can' t be sure. After replacing the seals and the discs I have "some" brakes again.