Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Loader quick attach - Kubota BX version

SmilinSam

@720nut asked me to send him some pictures of the quick attach on my Kubota BX for ideas on how to make one. Figured I would post for everyone else to reference as well.

medium.DSCN2286.JPG.84de2bb8cf503ab87650

This is kind of a "semi-quick attach" as you still have to get off the tractor to pull and replace 2 pins.  On mine its the 2 lower pins on either side. You take the hair pin out that keeps the attachment pin from sliding out. Then you pull the pin out. Usually have to rock the attachment a little to get it in or out. The more it gets used the easier its getting. I also hkeep the pins well greased

medium.DSCN2285.JPG.3e279fb9b7b8c50d2b97

However unlike having to pin all 3 (in my case) or 4 pins in after you manually drag the loader bucket or forkset over and line it up by hand,  with this system you pull the pins then drive up to your next attachment and hook the finger under the upper pin( which stays in the attachment) and tilt back and pick up the attachment. Once on, the other holes pretty much line up and you just insert the other 2 lower pins.

medium.DSCN2289.JPG.7f4e1e68523629424c28

medium.DSCN2288.JPG.bef9ad15c93e050f179b

medium.DSCN2287.JPG.88fb287126336fd61f19

medium.DSCN2290.JPG.7c401aa552c03c2c8b49

The only thing I dont like about this system is that it throws the lift point for the load about 4" farther out in front of the loader boom end. This cuts down on the mount you can lift. That combined with the fact that my tractor has a lift capacity set by the factory to about 500 lbs, and that the quick attach weighs about 75 lbs by itself, and that the forkset weighs around 125 lbs more than the bucket, meand that I end up only being able to lift around 300 lbs. with the forks or 400 lbs with the bucket.  Its my only gripe about the Kubota BX. Needs to be able to lift at least 400 lbs with the forkset on for me to be satisfied.

Its out of warranty now, so I'm thinking of adding shims to be able to bring it up to that lift capacity mark. Going to get a gauge and test the pressure first, as other owners have been able to lift more weight than mine seems to be able to. Maybe for some reason its not in spec.???

Anyhow, thats the Kubota BX quick attach setup for you to draw ideas from.

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 2

Thanks Sam,  I'll study it and see what I can come up with

Think I may have come up with a simple solution I'll post after I decide if it will work

Edited by 720nut
  • Like 1

I thought this looked like the simplest method for homemade quick attach.  I have always wanted to make it up, but I never need or use my bucket anymore.  Ive used it once in the past 5 years 🤦‍♂️

To me this seems to use the least steel (weight) and doesn't add too awful much distance to the load.

I can tell ya, my loader would be worthless to me for what I do, had I not shimmed it.   Sam, like you say, my fork set is much heavier than my bucket and my load is often much further out in front, both limiting capacity.  I shimmed mine to 1250psi (from ~900-950) and it really woke up.  In this clip I had some known weight, and tried idle and then near WOT lifts @ ~700#, plus the forks  

1B5196AC-5267-4ABD-8FD6-9AF0DD3BEC94.jpeg.5a80fadf699b2c58c87bbaa905b1d996.jpeg

C57833FE-BC8E-4E2E-81E0-4A1FCEF1F41E.jpeg.d0609d3ebe7c93455c0b2bd7b74547f6.jpeg

• Like 6

I like that set-up for the quick attach.  Does throw the weight out a little.

Wonder what it would take to get some made?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GregB said:

Time & Money? :smilie_happy:

Edited by dhoadley
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GregB said:

Josh,

Were did you snag those pictures of the unpainted quick attach ends?

I just googled 'homemade quick attach'.  I had seen them before, several years back, and they popped right up for me.

• 8 months later...

Ok guys another daily project done ;

I printed out both pictures and built as close to them as I could just finished them up. About 6 hrs invested and lots of welds.

I like the way they came out but I didn't really check my buckets till I had it all welded together, which no big deal I'll simply modify my buckets to fit, I may even remove my brackets on bucket and reposition so as to roll the bucket back a little more , would be nice when trying to carry dirt any distance. 

Didn't take into account that upper pin on bucket picture #2 does not allow for anything to go between it and bucket. I have approximately 1/2" that has to slide between them so as I see it now will, have to rework the brackets or just get new steel and totally revamp the mounts.

DSCN4034.JPG

DSCN4035.JPG

Edited by 720nut
  • Like 2

On 5/11/2020 at 8:33 AM, GregB said:

I like that set-up for the quick attach.  Does throw the weight out a little.

Greg unless I could find an easier way it would not be cost effective for me , don't know about someone else

There are company's out there that make right angle bolt on brackets.  Think 2x3 angle prepunched for loader arms and cylinder pins.  Thought about it , but recycled angle and a big drill bit is so much cheaper. 

It's on my list to visit and go through the outside racks, but cold and wet has deterred me.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, GregB said:

It's on my list to visit and go through the outside racks, but cold and wet has deterred me.

I quit with the used steel long time ago, cleanup needed was always so much and time involved found  I could afford, to just buy new

Ok buckets on and a lot tighter than it was before. Did lose a little of the rollback I had so may at a later date reposition the brackets on bucket to compensate for it.

Everything is super tight but will loosen up as I use it. I do need to get the forks out and rework them to fit also.

I assume that with a little more thought on my part this could be done perhaps a lot easier than I have done it, however I am pleased with how it all came together.

I should mention that I also made all new pins as my original pins were to short, I had a bunch of 3/4" x 10 bolts , grade 8's and cut them down , hardest part of that was getting 1/4" hole drilled for hair pins and cotter keys

DSCN4037.JPG

DSCN4036.JPG

Edited by 720nut
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hitch has since received the connector tube and has made life so much more comfortable , pull 2 hairclips and pins and drop bucket and drive up to forks and just pick them up and reinstall the pins.

I since made two more sets and used my forks to fit them and later found out they are just a hair to wide for the bucket mounts so been on a holding pattern till I decide what to do with them. Probably just grind a little off each side as both bucket and brackets are 2".

DSCN4077.JPG

DSCN4076.JPG

DSCN4075.JPG

Edited by 720nut
  • Like 4

@720nut what is the pin spacing, center to center?  And if I am understanding correctly, the fork/bucket bracket outside width is 2”?  What is the inside width if the loader arm bracket? 

• Like 1

Josh I made everything to fit the early Legacy Loader I have.

I have floor tore up right now so when I get a chance will get some measurements

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Haven't done anything on the brackets as other projects have taken over and just haven't had time to mess with them.

Am finding life a lot easier since I made the first set and would be nice to have a hyd pin remover like on some skid steers, maybe later date

9 hours ago, 720nut said:

Haven't done anything on the brackets as other projects have taken over and just haven't had time to mess with them.

Am finding life a lot easier since I made the first set and would be nice to have a hyd pin remover like on some skid steers, maybe later date

Lloyd, I'd still be interested in a set wherever there is time to figure that out.  I think I woudl be a little tight like what you ran into, but nothing that couldn't be worked around. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Talntedmrgreen said:

Lloyd, I'd still be interested in a set wherever there is time to figure that out.  I think I woudl be a little tight like what you ran into, but nothing that couldn't be worked around. 

I'll be a while as I have other projects and mowing season has started so time is really tight