Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

No spark and no head lamps.....HELP!

Simplicity 12LTG, 12hp Briggs, I have tested the pickup coil it reads 8 on the meter, I have replace the ignition switch, the old one read zero (no beep on my VOM) on the run and start postions. Tested all saftey switches and are in proper positions for operation and jumpered the seat switch (since I can't sit on the darn thing to work on it) The battery and leads are in great shape. Good ground from pickup coil spade terminal and contacts all the way back to the battery. I still have no spark and no headlamps. Tractor is still unresponsive. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I failed to mention that the engine will not turn over with new ignition switch. I can jumper the solenoid and engine will turn over but still not spark.

Are you getting power to the switch?? If it won't turn over or spark it sounds to me like you have a broken connection between switch and battery..MPH

I don't have a diagram for those tractors, but on thosde briggs many times the lights are on a ac circuit from the alternator and will not work unless the engine is running. I'd bet there is a bad safety switch somewhere as far as the starting problem goes. As far as spark, have you tried a new or different plug yet?

Was the new switch from the dealer or somewhere else? I worked on a cub cadet one time that a guy had put a new switch on because the old one went bad. He had gotten it(the new one) from the auto parts store in towne and put it on and had the same problem. I checked all the safety switches and wiring and everything was ok. I then looked at the switch and it was a little different than the old one. He got one from the dealer then and it worked fine ever since. Just a thought. Also checking them safety switches like Sam said would be a good idea. Best of luck. Mark

Carlos, The "starter", "ignition", and "lights" are 3 different electrical systems. One has nothing to do with the other. Check each system independantly. 1) Starter system > Check battery, cables, safety switches, wires, connections, and "key" switch. 2) Ignition system > After starting system is working properly and engine cranks over, the ignition module in back of the flywheel should generate a high voltage current to make the spark plug "spark". 3) Light system > After the engine is running, the "charging" system (also located behind the flywheel) should recharge the battery and generate power for the lights. Get yourself an electrical system manual specific for your tractor, study and understand the diagrams, and test each of the 3 systems individually. The "key" switch is a very important component since each of the 3 systems are controlled by it. It must be the correct switch for your tractor.

Herb is right. These are three seperate functions, all independant of the other. The lights have nothing to do with the ignition switch. A wire runs from the alternator to the light switch, then to the lights, bypassing the ignition switch altogether. The ground wire runs from the magneto through a few safety switches, then to the ignition switch. It is grounded with the switch in the "off" position, either through the switch itself, or through a ground wire to the switch. The starting system is fed with a "hot" wire from the battery. It sends power to the starter solenoid or relay, through more safety switches. The wrong ignition switch will not work, or may even cause damage if it feeds power into the magneto. Just a fraction of a second is all it takes, and the magneto is burned out. Pat