Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Well..finally fell off the wagon today...

SmilinSam

Couldnt save myself  by the distance excuse.....only 20 minutes away

Couldnt tell myself the price was too high either...asking price was only a hundred bucks

It was like I helplessly watching as my arm reached for the phone....

Got to try the refurbished trailer out to bring her home...yet ANOTHER Red one

medium.DSCN2297.JPG.83c59a22036d9738373d

Wait till you see the other side.....

medium.DSCN2299.JPG.dce84b5070d54f8c35e2

Look at those boons!

medium.DSCN2298.JPG.258bf25c4fe0b80999e9

Was told the engine knocks and that it wouldnt go into low range. Figured out why ...

medium.DSCN2300.JPG.a53844ba825f21e08551

Engagement rod had been welded to support bracket. I ground dthe weld offf and it will go into both ranges. I think part of the problem they were having is that one of the plastic or nylon slides that pulls the hub in and out is missing. It will pull the tractor in each gear and in each range. Only thing i found so far is it clicks in reverse in one of the ranges. Got to learn some more about these hi/low units.

At first look bevel gear box appears to be ok. Got to get the dash work and panels off to get a better look.

Fuel tank appears to be  good inside.

Front wheels and pto appear to be from a B-12.

Stephen says he can supply the correct front wheels for a Big Ten and a running 10 hp engine .

Only part missing from the tractor otherwise is a steering wheel cap. Tin is pretty straight. Even has the correct muffler on it.

Just going to take alot of work to disassemble and strip/re-paint each and every part

Always told myself I needed a 1966 Big Ten to go with a 1966 SmilinSam&:)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Totally not your fault couldn’t be helped, a hundred bucks is a steal. 

• Like 2

Cant get quotes to line up right this morning @SmilinSam so I'll just number, cut and paste

1. "It was like I helplessly watching as my arm reached for the phone...."    I know that feeling ;)
  2. "Wait till you see the other side"... And now the payoff begins - well worth the asking price right there
  3. "...and it wouldn't go into low range. Figured out why."  I've done some stupid fixes in my days, lived to regret them so far. But, it looks like folks in northern IL get stick welder happy &:)  Your post of welded electric clutch a few days ago and now the hi-lo range. Gota do what you gota do to get the job done I guess.

A really nice save Sam. Big 10 should fix up well and you're a master at fixing previous owner self induced problems. So you're a '66 model. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Your  picture will soon be posted at the Post Office.....................a huge steal on that one.

Would have done the same, but around here even junk goes high.

• Like 3

Soooooo, you are the scoundrel who beat me to it! &:) I missed it by this much! 

Great buy Sam! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, gwiseman said:

it looks like folks in northern IL get stick welder happy &:) Your post of welded electric clutch a few days ago and now the hi-lo range

.....Differential hubs welded to the axles.....mower blades welded to the spindle bottoms....dozer blade wear plates worn down to the holes, then welded back on -with the worn side still downsm00.....steering wheels weld to the shafts....

Stick Welder happy ?   What could POSSIBLY make one think such a thing?&:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SmilinSam said:

Stick Welder happy ? 

Just had to grind a cone clutch free of the pulley assembly as it had been welded on.   It was one of the BGB cross shafts set up for a bolt instead of a threaded end for a nut to keep the cone tight.  Threads were stripped, so, what do you do?  Weld the cone to the pulleys.  Pretty hard to dissassemble that setup from the tractor.  Ground the weld off to remove the cone and get at the circlip, removed everything and replaced, drilled the shaft and tapped one size larger on the bolt.  Back in business, but talk about cobbled repairs...........

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, SmilinSam said:

.....Differential hubs welded to the axles.....mower blades welded to the spindle bottoms....dozer blade wear plates worn down to the holes, then welded back on -with the worn side still downsm00.....steering wheels weld to the shafts....

Stick Welder happy ?   What could POSSIBLY make one think such a thing?&:)

dont forget the one that had the rear whees bolted and welded to the hubs

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, s_stephen said:

dont forget the one that had the rear whees bolted and welded to the hubs

Forgot about that one&:)

Pretty sure I just junked that transmission...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Having a hard time walking by it without tinkering, but I have to get all the other stuff out of the shop so I can begin to play....

I did take the deck off. Amazed to find no rust holes, no cracks, broken welds or bent parts..       

Equally amazed to find no stress cracks in the seat deck....anywhere.

Also found the engine to have real good compression. Almost like a new one. Not what I would have expected from and engine "said" to have a knock.

Might be prudent to throw a battery in it and try and get it started to see whats up myself. Noticed someone has disconnected the driveshaft from the engine....                                      

• Like 1

And a rare photo of an original right hand lift lever!  Split rock-shaft, or didn't your curiosity get you that far?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GrincheyOne said:

And a rare photo of an original right hand lift lever!  Split rock-shaft, or didn't your curiosity get you that far?

The hi/low and the right lift were the "boons" I hinted to in the second picturedOd

Not sure what you mean by split rockshaft...?

Years ago this tractor would have already been dismembered and listed on Ebay in pieces by now. More interested in the "play" aspect rather than the "pay" aspect these days.....though it did kinda shock me that the last right hand lift I saw sell on Ebay brought over $300. Maybe I should chain and padlock it to the tractor ?&:)

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

Years ago this tractor would have already been dismembered and listed on Ebay in pieces by now.

You're mellowing with age.  sm01

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/23/2020 at 6:45 AM, SmilinSam said:

Maybe I should chain and padlock it to the tractor ?&:)

I know where you live! &:)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SimpleMan said:

Nice find. Is red the original color?

No. Yellow under it al. On all the rest of the red repaints I had over the years,  its just red on the outer surfaces. This guy went to great lengths to paint ALL the surfaces.

25 minutes ago, SmilinSam said:

No. Yellow under it al. On all the rest of the red repaints I had over the years,  its just red on the outer surfaces. This guy went to great lengths to paint ALL the surfaces.

From the pictures, looks like he did a decent job of it, albeit the wrong color. One wonders how bad it was when it was decided to do the full repaint.

Got the hood, side panels lift levers, grill and rear lift off. First time ever I took a double keyed  lift lever and arm  off a lift shaft without heat. Soaked with kroil for 20 minutes , came back and a little pressure from a crowbar and they slid right off.  Unbelievable...

Put a new battery in it and tried to fire it up. No spark. Cleaned the points and still no spark.  Rigged up a 12v kohler coil and used alligator clip wires to run power to it and from it to the points/condensor. Tractor fired right up and ran.  No smoke, no carb problems, Runs nice and smooth, but it does have some noise, At low rpm, especially at idle there is a constant slap. Not quite a hammering. At high rpm its more like an intermittent rattle.

I suppose the next step will be to take the engine out and remove the tin and pull the pan and go from there. Anyone got any tips ?

After I hooked the driveshaft  back up I ran it around the yard  for 30 - 40 minutes. Ran it in all gears and in both high and low ranges. Cant see anything terribly out of sorts with the hi/low other than the missing guide.

Anyone know where I can get another pair of guides for the hi/low?

Nothing seems to be wrong with the gearbox or the transmission either.

Got a whole lot of refinishing to do forthcoming...

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 6

Hello, is this what you need ? Maybe someone could make some for you. 

Thanks Ken in Mi

2011124185112_hilo2.jpg

2011124184924_hilo1.jpg

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, maxwood said:

Hello, is this what you need ? Maybe someone could make some for you. 

Thanks Ken in Mi

Yes. Can probably make them myself on a small lathe given the dimensions you have posted.Thanks.

What are they ? nylon?..plastic?

Hello, I don"t know what type of material  they are made of?   plastics have changed allot since the 70"s 

Maybe someone will have a better idea .

Thanks Ken in Mi

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site maintenance scheduled to begin 10a CDT on 3/16/24
      · 0 replies
  • Adverts