Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Well..finally fell off the wagon today...

SmilinSam

On 6/1/2020 at 8:31 PM, SmilinSam said:

Got the hood, side panels lift levers, grill and rear lift off. First time ever I took a double keyed  lift lever and arm  off a lift shaft without heat. Soaked with kroil for 20 minutes , came back and a little pressure from a crowbar and they slid right off.  Unbelievable...

Put a new battery in it and tried to fire it up. No spark. Cleaned the points and still no spark.  Rigged up a 12v kohler coil and used alligator clip wires to run power to it and from it to the points/condensor. Tractor fired right up and ran.  No smoke, no carb problems, Runs nice and smooth, but it does have some noise, At low rpm, especially at idle there is a constant slap. Not quite a hammering. At high rpm its more like an intermittent rattle.

I suppose the next step will be to take the engine out and remove the tin and pull the pan and go from there. Anyone got any tips ?

After I hooked the driveshaft  back up I ran it around the yard  for 30 - 40 minutes. Ran it in all gears and in both high and low ranges. Cant see anything terribly out of sorts with the hi/low other than the missing guide.

Anyone know where I can get another pair of guides for the hi/low?

Nothing seems to be wrong with the gearbox or the transmission either.

Got a whole lot of refinishing to do forthcoming...

I had a engine doing that years ago. Thought it was blowing up. Finally pulled the motor drive pulley off and the key and key way were worn. The pulley looked and acted tight when moved up and down. It was moving forwards and backwards on the shaft. Replaced the pulley and key.

Sam; if I recall correctly guys were making the  Hi/Low shifter pucks from Delrin. May be spelled wrong.....Dave

When it rains it pours...

Just made arrangement to buy/trade for another tractor/tiller package. 3314H with the correct tiller for my Big Ten project.

Actualy sold it to this guy 15 years ago or so. Hasnt run and been sitting outside on a pallet for the last 10 years. Seat deck is rusted completely through behind the seat if that... tells you anything about its current condition. Tiller is in great shape if the bearings in the drive setup have not drawn moisture.

Got to go dig around for a decent pair of rear tires for his Sunstar.

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

You are back Sam! dOd I haven't acquired anything Simplicity yet this year. Just a couple engine donors, an edger for a nice 3.5hp for a repower of an old Simplicity walk behind, and a Craftsman for a 10hp for the 610.

Sounds like your next boomerang is a parts tractor now. sm02

• Like 2

On 6/7/2020 at 7:23 PM, B-16_IC said:

Sounds like your next boomerang is a parts tractor now. sm02

medium.DSCN2305.JPG.9a018325abfd064ec1d6

medium.DSCN2306.JPG.53cc559d9a0e1804fc46

Not inspiring. ....Though I think it might just actually run with a good cleaning and a carb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

5 months later.....

B-16_IC now has the 3314 to play with. All the red parts on the Big ten are now blasted clean of that"blasted" red color.  Everything is now Yellow again with the exception of the few piece getting painted yet today.

Pulled the engine apart this morning and found a 10 over piston in it. Also found the source of the rattle. The unmarked rod is not tight on the crank. Bolted up tight and surfaces tight together, but has play in it. You can grab the dipper and pull straight back and push forward and there is obvious noticable movement back and forth aganst the crank. Its almost like they turned the crank and used a standard rod. Took the rod and piston out and all the surfaces are nice, smooth and clean Just a couple oflight  visual marrs on the inside of the cap. Will have to procure some measuring tools to see what  the crank dia measures out at vs the rod id.

Will give all the painted  parts time to cure, then start re-assembly of the forwrd frame/chasis.  Cant do the rear until I procure a chea sundstrand  tractor to do my short frame hydro conversion with...

• Like 5