Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Crusty Simplicity 700/725 I picked up + question

MTopp

Finally picked up these 2 last weekend. One engine turns over "smooth" and the other, not so much. I'm excited to see if I can really make the 2 into one! Only have 2 good rear wheels - 1 on each tractor rotted, must've been from the direction they sat in the yard for 30+ years. 

BGB's seemed pretty tight, but will need further investigation. Both still had those old rubber discs instead of the plastic ones - I just need the new plastic and some washers to swap, right?

Pics attached, didn't take many other than the york rake, but can see them both in the one picture. The one has a mower deck, but its pretty beat and rotted.

20200517_115022.jpg

20200517_115034.jpg

20200517_115038.jpg

20200517_115043.jpg

20200517_115056.jpg

20200517_115102.jpg

20200517_115611.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, MTopp said:

I just need the new plastic and some washers to swap, right?

You will have to also have some spacers of one size or another to take up excess space. Make sure the spacers are a matched pair the same length. Usually they go between the flyweel pulley and the disc. Bolts need to be long enough to go through the disc and spacers and fit  adequately into the threads on the flywheel pulley. Barely long enough wont do. If the are not long enough they will pull out of the flywheel pulley and tear all the threads out with them.

The washers have to be the special washers with one side beveled used for sandwiching the fiberdisc between them. Bevel goes towards the disc.

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 4

Not the best picture but one I took for a collector of used fiber discs and the beveled washers SmilinSam discussed.

IMG_1859.thumb.jpg.d3afd3f77f1750d3f4787c9a430a3178.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

You will have to also have some spacers of one size or another to take up excess space. Make sure the spacers are a matched pair the same length. Usually they go between the flyweel pulley and the disc. Bolts need to be long enough to go through the disc and spacers and fit  adequately into the threads on the flywheel pulley. Barely long enough wont do. If the are not long enough they will pull out of the flywheel pulley and tear all the threads out with them.

The washers have to be the special washers with one side beveled used for sandwiching the fiberdisc between them. Bevel goes towards the disc.

Ah okay, if I can turn two into one and get it running and driving then I'll definitely try and get that figured out - seems simple enough. Think I can bevel them by hand?

54 minutes ago, gwiseman said:

Not the best picture but one I took for a collector of used fiber discs and the beveled washers SmilinSam discussed.

IMG_1859.thumb.jpg.d3afd3f77f1750d3f4787c9a430a3178.jpg

Nice, I've seen them sold on eBay as well - they're on the 3310V I need to reassemble as well. 

• Like 1

I believe @SmilinSam was saying you'd need some spacers like these shown on my B-110:  

IMG_2228.thumb.jpg.327682019dc3ea91b3ef0027ad475bb1.jpg

Plus the fiber disks and special washers.  

Great rake find.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PhanDad said:

I believe @SmilinSam was saying you'd need some spacers like these shown on my B-110:  

IMG_2228.thumb.jpg.327682019dc3ea91b3ef0027ad475bb1.jpg

Plus the fiber disks and special washers.  

Great rake find.

Ah, yes - I forgot what mine had looked like on the 3310, but that makes sense and the bolts/washers.

The rake definitely appears to be custom made/fitted, but can probably be adapted to the 3310, was hoping to use the rear lift on there as well, but not sure yet if it'll fit.  

Nice find. That rake will no doubt be a handy attachment. That rotted rear wheel is pretty impressive. Haven't seen one that far gone. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1