Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A question for Simplicity 700/725 Gurus!

dince

The parts manual for the 700/725 Simplicity shows a Bushing for the top of the steering colunm tube (AC on the diagram), part number 21542895SM. Ought there also be one at the lower end of the steering column tube?

I note that this same part is called a bearing, of which there are four, in the front wheels steering assembly (AA on the relevant diagram).

After a long break, I am back onto my manufacturing number-less 725, now being fitted with a Model 24 B&S engine, due to me not finding a coil for the 23D that had been fitted by the PO..  Lots of parts now being painted!

Expect more questions!

Kind regards to all, from Downunder!

I have never seen this bushing, or the later rubberized type, on both the top and bottom.  I have only seen it in place at the top.

• Like 1

Thank you, Talntedmrgreen, for your reply,  It certainly puts me on the right track.  Now I am looking for a substitute for the spring, the two cups and the two washers that go just under the steering wheel.  OEM parts no longer available.  Can anyone help me with old parts or dimensions, please?

• 2 months later...

Can anyone post a picture of the spring and the cup washers that go under the steering wheel?  I presume the spring fits around the steering column, with sufficient play to sir into the cup washers?  Would they be what are called “quarter turn cup washers”?  What length is the spring?  Thank you in anticipation of a reply!

4 hours ago, dince said:

Can anyone post a picture of the spring and the cup washers that go under the steering wheel?

Notice I have replaced the older style steering gear with a new style.

20200729_103223.jpg

20200729_102438.jpg

Edited by Bill725
  • Like 1

Bill725, great photos, thank you!  I presume the two cup washers and the spring cushion jarring from the front axle/steering components getting up to the steering wheel.  That looks quite a heavy spring.  Is it the same as the original one, located just under the steering wheel?  I note the new style steering, no longer a circular pinion.  Is that from a more recent Simplicity model?

Thank you also for the close up photo of the transmission drive and idler pulley - a great pictorial lesson for me!

17 hours ago, dince said:

I presume the two cup washers and the spring cushion jarring from the front axle/steering components getting up to the steering wheel.

With the original steering gear, you could pull up on the steering wheel and re-index or rotate the pinion gear to the gear on the pitman arm. The spring is OEM. I had play in the OEM steering gear due to keyway slop and replaced it with the newer style which started with the 101. I also replace the LH spindle and steering arm with the new more robust Sovereign style, which has (2) keys instead of (1).

Edited by Bill725
  • Like 1

Thank you Bill for that explanation.  I will investigate it further, and see if the 101 parts are still available.

Edited by dince

When I replaced the original 725 steering gear with a new style, the original steering shaft did not fit and had to fabricate one from another shaft. It is not just a remove and replace.

Bill725, thank you for the extra information.  I think I will proceed with re-assembling my original parts, and pursue looking for a spring and the spring cup washers.  I am interested to know this facility was built into the tractor, originally?  Why do the pinions need to be re-indexed?  What causes them to jump out of position?

15 hours ago, dince said:

pursue looking for a spring and the spring cup washers.

If you look at the IPL, there are (2) spring cups, BN, P/N 154399, (1) spring, BM, P/N 154398 and (2) washers, BP, P/N 108181. FYI, there happens to be a spring on Ebay for $7.59. Once you have the spring, you could have (2) spring cups made and use standard washers.

• Like 1

You are a great helper, Bill725!  Yes, I have found the spring, and have contacted the seller re international shipping.  What words do you use to search eBay for Simplicity parts?  I had to do several searches before I found it.  I ended up using the part number, which, if I was just wanting scan eBay for what is generally available, it would be a pain. 

I have, just yesterday, found two new washers, purchased from Sandy Lake Implement a couple of years ago.  Now all I need are the spring cups.  Having seen your photo, I recognise there are very similar looking cup washers on the axles of a Gravely Steering Sulky.  They might do the job.

As you can see in the photo, I have plenty on the go!  Too much in fact.  I am doing a dual paint job - Simplicity 725, and a Gravely L8, both with attachments.  Same paint, same colour!

2F10C02D-594E-4DBE-9DFF-852267F3718B.jpeg

• Like 4

I’ve had a brain wave!  I could use welch plugs to make the cups!  As soon as my spring arrives, courtesy of Bill725, I can procure the correct ID!

Edited by dince
Typo