Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

dhoadley

Sickle Bar score

dhoadley

So I'll start at the beginning. I only look at my emails once a day, early with my first cup of coffee. Usually about 5:30am. The CL ad I shared in that forum topic popped up Tuesday and I texted a reply at 6:00.  Early/mid afternoon I get a text saying 2 other people wanted to look at it, but he just noticed my text and I would be first in line, if I was interested. I asked if I could call, and we talked for a few minutes and made arrangements for me to go up after work. I got there about 8:00pm and plunked down my money. I'd ridden my bike to work (you're not the only WingNut here, Hick) so I arranged to drive my pickup Thursday (Wednesday was good riding weather) and come get it after work. Don, the seller, said his dad was the original owner. He has dad's restored Simp 2012 and many attachments; said dad got 'em all. He'd sold a cultivator recently, still had a deck and snowblower that he didn't use anymore, a spring-trip plow that he used occasionally, and the weed-cutter. He said more people called about the weedcutter than the sickle bar! Everything has lived out of the weather all its life, so they're in great shape for their age.

I know the rule; every attachment needs its own tractor. I ended up coming to this from the other end. I had a tractor that needed an attachment. I'd been given a Simp 725 with a deck. But I had enough grass cutters. This tractor needed something else. It needed a sickle bar.

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/59972-look-what-fell-into-my-lap/

So I've quitely been on the lookout. It took 2 years, but one finally came to me.

DSC02567.JPG.c0dd7e468347e783ce65f0e1fd9d81da.JPG

What's the metal bar on the swathboard for?

DSC02568.JPG.7f465ff55d19b3cb2cde3d3470c9ebf1.JPG

Swathboard (is that what its called?) cracked.

DSC02569.JPG.e5cd1de55d4a2a2d9e5ae277d3f9bb70.JPG

No broken teeth and it moves freely.

DSC02570.JPG.a6108f1c77c0b21a20e0e9552ad17c65.JPG

DSC02571.JPG.ae8bf25d6aab0e02a96854bccda54ec8.JPG

DSC02572.JPG.7c0c7c27be026ade926759c664436b40.JPG

Came with a complete spare cutting bar plus 6 individual teeth.

DSC02573.JPG.48bd8f3404b215a2b911c846630cb48b.JPG

DSC02574.JPG.935dcb8ed91c47f62b27f383560f689d.JPG

I know the hook needs a few more links and is used to take pressure off the cable while in transit. Where would the other end mount? He found the cable pulley and a few other bits he thought might go with it in the 2 days between purchase and pickup. Any ideas what the orange bar and orange U-shaped bar are? Also had dad's owner manual.

DSC02575.JPG.2e8fae275fc2a045862667a8bc3cc5b2.JPG

DSC02578.JPG.5226b6752d97038a0f5f6dad2690dac8.JPG

I removed the wooden board so I can glue the crack up.

DSC02576.JPG.b6619d38e7e9f5e4c3f713e7b2a08e02.JPG

DSC02577.JPG.41cb298eddd1f0139bf6a54eb2d2b93c.JPG

Now I have to get the 725 to run. I haven't touched it since I parked it.

Edited by dhoadley
  • Like 8

SmilinSam
2 hours ago, dhoadley said:

Where would the other end mount? . Any ideas what the orange bar and orange U-shaped bar are? 

Transport chain is usually bolted through a hole in the frame mounted on the inside of the frame. Then you just tuck it inside the frame next to the engine when not in use. Different model tractors have different particulars across the years, but that's the gist of it.

U shaped thing is a lift lever catch.  Flat bar is a footdragger lift bar that bolts to the right lift lever, and/or to the lift arm for the left hand standard lift.

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

gwiseman

The rod on the swathboard is supposed to turn the mowed hay away from the end of the sicklebar and swathboard, folding the hay inward leaving a narrow path w/o hay so on the next pass there is no mowed hay to get caught up in the sickle drive. It’ll probably never matter to you but in a hayfield every component was essential 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

dhoadley

So I've started mounting this up to my 725. The cable doesn't look right where it's attqached to the sickle and going through the pulley. Any ideas/comments welcome.

IMG_20201226_154620146.thumb.jpg.01839377014cd2b2b98a784b4937ddb4.jpg

IMG_20201226_154526202.thumb.jpg.8bba1b6db7359b5cb3d98ece4d7a95de.jpg

IMG_20201226_154539925.thumb.jpg.8a19ca9971d7320d37973cec58b27640.jpg

720nut

Nice find  dOd , goes to show if ya wait long enough all things come to ya

Been a while but doesn't the cable go to the cutter bar. Like I say been a while and flat bar and chain lift mower ?

Edited by 720nut

SmilinSam

Yes, the guard is all bent up...

medium.DSCN1921.JPG.cd2f5ecb309688c6fc10

As you can see here, this is how the cable threads and attaches. Looks like you have it right.

You can also see the little bracket bolted to the frame to the back of the footplate. A static chain attaches to that and then to the back of the mower to hold it up off the ground. Same game plan on a FootDragger.

large.DSCN1923.JPG.099560fdafc018907a8b3

large.DSCN1924.JPG.2b1951c20c83835416a9d

Heres a couple of  shots of the transport chain hooked up..

large.DSCN1926.JPG.3ab377aa159f3f032db2d

large.DSCN1927.JPG.2d8acf1537654c70a8582

Hard to stow the chain in the engine compartment on this tractor, as the engine in it has a low slung ring gear starter.

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

spi
11 hours ago, 720nut said:

was just going to ask what ya did with the chain when mowing ?

When I go up into the field to mow I take a trailer with gas can, grease gun, hand full of nuts and bolts, spare belt, every tool I own, and a jug of water. still end up needing to go back to the house for something. Anyway I throw the chain in to the trailer.

• Haha 3

PhanDad
6 hours ago, MikeES said:

The belt goes on the smaller pulley.  It will run too fast on the larger pulley.

Good catch.  

I always wondered what the smaller diameter pulley was for on my B-110 hanging PTO.  

SmilinSam
7 hours ago, MikeES said:

The belt goes on the smaller pulley.  It will run too fast on the larger pulley.

....and Dave, if you dont already know, keep the rpm's on the engine way down when running a sickle mower. I usually run mine a little above idle when cutting. If you run one of these enough you can get a feel for where the throttle is just right by the sound of the mower and the amount of vibration.

If these run at too fast a rpm, they will shake themselves apart.

• Thanks 1

dhoadley

I have no use/work for it, but that may not stop me anyhow. Rehung the support chain, and I'll move the belt to the smaller pulley next time I'm there. Thanx, Dave

Talntedmrgreen

Dave, you will struggle a bit on the lift setup, as the 725 was not designed for the cable lift...that style sickle came later, so your pulley bracket does not have the proper frame holes for positioning, and your frame does not have the integrated bolt hole/bolt for mounting the rear support.  If you hang the support chain from the implement lift, you will run into issues with belt wear, end up dragging the mower assembly and/or grinding it against hte bottom of your tractor, etc.  The mower drive is not meant to raise and lower, so I would certainly remedy that.  Sams pictures are also of a different pulley bracket mounting setup, but that photo Mike posted is closer to what your best positioning shoudl be.  As you have it, you will damage your cable and pulley bracket.  

I am not suprised on the popularity of the weedcutter he had.  They are much harder to find and work much better for general brush cutting.  I was finally bribed out of the weedcutter I had, and am now on the watch for another.  

SmilinSam

I

1 hour ago, dhoadley said:

I have no use/work for it,

I actually found a couple of uses for mine that no other mowing implement will do. Got a water drain ditch I dug a couple years ago that I can swing the mower out over and cut the weeds down once a month.  Also found if I hang the bar out at about a 30 degree angle I can taper mow the weeds along my walk paths out in my woods back so the tall stuff wont droop out over where I walk. Used to do both those jobs with a string trimmer. This takes alot less time and is more uniform.

• Like 3

• Who's Online (See full list)

• B10Dave
    • PhanDad
    • AC710
    • mattcuccia
    • MrSteele
    • NateShedivy
  • Today's Birthdays

1. dbulkley62
      dbulkley62
      (59 years old)
  • Recent Status Updates

• jbrooks

jbrooks  »  Talntedmrgreen

Josh

folowing  this from a link at the downloads.  I just rescued an AC 920 with the lambodini diesel. I can' t download  yet .  Where did you find the PDF copy you posted. . I would like to figure out how to adjust the injection pump. 
      I assume it's a bosche, correct
      · 0 replies
    • dav-1

dav-1  »  Talntedmrgreen

Over a year ago, you answered a question I had about the tool bar for my FDT. In your reply dated Dec 31, 2019  you said the spacer, part #16, goes in the bar to allow for up and down depth adjustment. does this mean the bolt has to be tightened at whatever depth desired or does the bolt slide up and down, allowing the lower hitch to free float?
         If it is tightened so the lower hitch and the bar are rigid, then is the depth to be controlled by the shoes? Or by the lift handle?
        Is there any kind of user directions for the tool bar? The Outdoor Power Manual basically shows how to assemble the bar but not how to use it
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts