Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simp 725 resurrection

dhoadley

I'm going to transfer some of this from the Show & Tell forum to her and start a thread with my dead 725 and newly acquired sickle bar.

I've started digging into this as it now has a purpose; to parade around a sickle bar mower. The inline fuse holder is shot. Do I need this or can I just cut and splice?

5ed40dac3aba1_DSC02268(2).JPG.2f71e1a4c86e062d5c0164898f73f0af.JPG

Also, is this the right carb for an 11hp I/C B&S?

5ed40e6f6d889_DSC02266(2).JPG.78cd21211220d109de208b4a83fbb93b.JPG

I think the fuel line is original to the tractor. sm00 Pulled the tank and it looks solid. Has a sediment bowl under it. Gonna give it a cleaning and see if its any good.

How is the battery secured? There's a lovely space for it, but no tie down amd it doesn't look like anything is missing.

Sediment bowl cleaned up nice except... I can't remove the glass bowl.  Any suggestions? Thanx, Dave 

"Making the impossible look merely inconvenient"
  • Like 1

dhoadley, I am going to follow your posts with great interest.  I am back on the job restoring my 725, and hence have a common interest.  Mine is fully dis-assembled down to every last nut and bolt.  Most parts have been in the electrolysis tank and/or have been sand blasted, and then painted with rust suppressant (phosphoric acid).  The parts are now lined up fo painting.  There are a few parts yet to be treated, and a few parts to be located.  Some parts were never on my original find, I have acquired quite a few bits via Simple trACtor members, and a few more to yet to find!

Following posts on the Simple trACtors site has been invaluable, as have the direct contact I have made with members!  Be warned, there will be some more contacts made!

Kind regards and gratitude to all members, and especially those who have supported me.  Thank you.

Edited by dince
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, dhoadley said:

How is the battery secured?

At the base of the battery, there is a steel flat bar on the LH & RH side. There is a hole towards the dash in each which a long bolt goes thru and when tightened squeezes the base of the battery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm still struggling to remove the glass bowl. had it upside down and soaked with carb cleaner, then light to medium tapping with a soft hammer. No joy. I'm considering putting it in a pot of room temp water and bringing it to a simmer. Comments/suggestions? Thanx, Dave

• Like 1

Those glass bowls are tougher than you think. Hold the upper piece solid and whack the bowl a little harder with the soft face hammer. Never run across one that won't let go and I have not broken any either. Good luck...Dave

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2020 at 8:06 PM, B10Dave said:

Those glass bowls are tougher than you think. Hold the upper piece solid and whack the bowl a little harder with the soft face hammer. Never run across one that won't let go and I have not broken any either. Good luck...Dave

Thank you Dave, for giving me the courage to try harder. Success! The glass bowl is separated from its metal base.

DSC02584.JPG.711210448f1f2df33fe8c9f1e52cdf19.JPG

Now to shop for a replacement. Anybody got an extra? 1.5" diameter by 1" high. Thanx, Dave

Edited by dhoadley
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

Well Dave; I guess there is always the exception to the norm. First bowl I have seen broken trying to remove. You get the prize.....Dave

• Like 1

5 hours ago, B10Dave said:

Well Dave; I guess there is always the exception to the norm. First bowl I have seen broken trying to remove. You get the prize.....Dave

:yahoo:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Bill725 said:

I replaced the sediment bulb on my 725 with an elbow as shown, then an inline shutoff valve and fuel filter. I can change the fuel filter without draining the tank.

B&S 691609 Kohler 2515502S.jpg

The tank has male thread. Went to our local, old-school hardware store (Goody's in East Haven, CT) and got a double female connector. If I can find a glass bowl, I'll switch it back.

3 hours ago, dhoadley said:

I was going to use the old base, but that's a good alternative. Thank you, Wendall.

Don’t glue the bowel in this time!  What was the glue, it sounds like it was better than anything on the market!  LOL!

• Haha 1

I was going to use the old base, but that's a good alternative. Thank you, Wendall.

dhoadley, what are you using for the “gasket” (partition) between the battery and the fuel tank?  I recall asking this question several years ago, but am unsure how to find old content.

Edited by dince

There's a sheet of rubber that could go either under the battery or between the tank and battery. It came without battery so I don't know. I guess I'd use cardboard if I had nothing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dhoadley said:

There's a sheet of rubber that could go either under the battery or between the tank and battery. It came without battery so I don't know. I guess I'd use cardboard if I had nothing.

Thank you!  I’ll look for some rubber sheeting.  I’m not sure what the purpose of it is?  It doesn’t seem to be secured in there, just standing between the battery and the .fuel tank      

14 minutes ago, dince said:

I’m not sure what the purpose of it is?

Probably to suck up "battery juice" to prevent a path to ground.   I think it was the same material you can see hanging from the voltage regulator in my B-110.  

IMG_2223.thumb.jpg.11c4e8656180ec58406b41537075658a.jpg

On 09/06/2020 at 1:40 AM, PhanDad said:

Probably to suck up "battery juice" to prevent a path to ground.   I think it was the same material you can see hanging from the voltage regulator in my B-110.  

IMG_2223.thumb.jpg.11c4e8656180ec58406b41537075658a.jpg

PhanDad, thanks for the picture.  Looks like some sort of flexible fibre board?  My idea of rubber sheeting is obviously off-beam!

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2020 at 10:11 AM, dhoadley said:

Thank you Dave, for giving me the courage to try harder. Success! The glass bowl is separated from its metal base.

DSC02584.JPG.711210448f1f2df33fe8c9f1e52cdf19.JPG

Now to shop for a replacement. Anybody got an extra? 1.5" diameter by 1" high. Thanx, Dave

Dont feel alone ...

I broke one the same way years ago...also on a 725

Edited by SmilinSam

• 5 months later...

May start moving forward on this. Got the sickle bar mounted this weekend.

IMG_20201227_150207625.thumb.jpg.208b264b2723dab327ba0b0d33963ec2.jpg

I have a wire running down the right side of the engine that had an inline fuse. It disintegrated. Can I just remove it or, if it needs replacement, what size fuse? Thanx, Dave

• Like 2

I have a wire running down the right side of the engine that had an inline fuse. It disintegrated. Can I just remove it or, if it needs replacement, what size fuse? Thanx, Dave

Any idea of it's purpose?  What is it attached to?  

The early tractors didn't have any auxiliary +12v feed to the dash (no ammeter):

image.png.ad43339f8f72821e25aefa7cec1d1825.png

The newer tractors did (with fuse):

image.png.128a8af711839ff2c943e4a2e543416a.png

So if your tractor doesn't have an ammeter, the wire/fuse holder is probably a PO addition.