Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

917 PTO slipping

mike_sdak

So I've been running my 917h with the HD tiller, tilling the garden.   The first tilling a few weeks ago was fine.    The last time, it would bog down and stop turning if the soil was too hard, causing me to lift the tiller slightly to keep going.  The center PTO area made a slight grinding noise when it wasn't turning.  

I thought the belt was slipping or perhaps there's something wrong with the PTO clutch? 

I plan to take a look at it tonight, but thought the experts here would have an idea to point me in the right direction. 

Edited by mike_sdak

Heres a couple of problems I have encountered in the past

Lining on the clutch cap could be worn out

When this happens theres nothing for the clutch body to grab. Sometimes it will dig into the metal on the cap. A worn lining will also act like a slipping belt. Most common ailment.

Spring behind the clutch could be broke

This just results in not enough pressure to push the clutch into the cap. Can act like a slipping belt too. If this is the case you should also notice less resistance than usual when shutting the pto off.

Sheared  cap key

Can also act like slipping belt and make noise. Rarely happens though. Has a tendency to wreck the end of the gearbox cross shaft if it does.

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

So I finally got around to taking the cap off the assembly.  Impact wrench worked wonders. Here's a few pics of the shaft and cap.   I'd say the lining is maybe 1/16" thick, ballpark.

Does it look like it needs replacing?    Any thoughts on the best way to remove and replace it?   I do have a leather belt on hand, prob 1/8 or slightly thicker.

IMG_20201121_104740811.thumb.jpg.c63046ebdcebcade5824190019c86dda.jpg

IMG_20201121_104657456.jpg

IMG_20201121_104733708.jpg

IMG_20201121_104736982.jpg

Yeah, looks like theres not enough material left to grab the cone and  keep the end of the cone from contacting the cap.

There are/were guys in here that talked of adhering a strip of leather belt into place, but I've never done it. I used to have plenty of spare caps from junk tractor back in the day to use as replacements.

Try a search for pto caps and see what turns up.  I'll look too, but cant right at the moment...

It appears to-looks like 1/8 inch or so, visible while it's mounted to the machine.   Thanks for the info!

Edited by mike_sdak

A pic of a new unused OEM clutch bell for reference:

IMG_0418.thumb.JPG.4469dc7c45cb79d0bb2c0623c1547daa.JPG

And it looks to me the snap ring has come out of it's groove:

image.png.f695100248c33f34ff7a8cb7cd346899.png 

Use an old school wooden 2 handle carpenters clamp to compress the spring so you can the the ring back in the groove.  More detail is available in the Large Frame Service manual.  

It looks to me like your retaining ring on the shaft has come out of it's groove holding the the hub in the engaged position when the clutch is disengaged.  That may me part of your wear problem.  @BLT has the name of a place in WI that will reline your old cone clutch if you you don't want to purchase a new one.  I don't know the cost bit I'm sure he will chime in.

12 hours ago, ShaunE said:

It looks to me like your retaining ring on the shaft has come out of it's groove holding the the hub in the engaged position when the clutch is disengaged.  That may me part of your wear problem.  @BLT has the name of a place in WI that will reline your old cone clutch if you you don't want to purchase a new one.  I don't know the cost bit I'm sure he will chime in.

his is I think where I had some done about 5 or 6 years ago, Then it was $35.00 ea plus frt both ways .What is/was done is remove the old lining, clean the surface and the glue in 8   pcs of new lining  and bake them on over night . I don't even know who you talk to now. M y guess now pick up the phone and call.
Brake Clutch and Drum

Brake shop in West Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Address: 4603 W Mitchell St, West Milwaukee, WI 53214

Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 8AM Mon
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed
Monday 8AM–4:30PM
Tuesday 8AM–4:30PM
Wednesday 8AM–4:30PM
Thursday
(Thanksgiving)
8AM–4:30PM
Hours might differ
Friday
(Black Friday)
8AM–4:30PM
Hours might differ
Suggest an edit

Thanks for your feedback.

Your responses help to improve the Google Search experience.

Note: Your feedback won't directly influence the ranking of any single page.
Learn more

Done
Review this business

Unable to add this file. Please check that it is a valid photo.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, I'm thinking you're right about the spring clip too.    

The repair manual describes PTO repair procedure, with step 6 calling for removal of the adjacent pulley assembly. Is this necessary to have enough room for the clamp?

I'm assuming the spring clip restrains the cone so it doesn't advance too far on engagement? Mine moves like 5/16 or so when engaged, I think it's supposed to be 1/8"per service manual?      

By the way, is there a way to lessen the force needed for moving the lever? Mine takes a fair amount of effort.

I think I'll try the leather and 2 part epoxy in the interest of time and money, unless that is best avoided altogether.

10 hours ago, mike_sdak said:

I'm assuming the spring clip restrains the cone so it doesn't advance too far on engagement?

The retaining ring locates the PTO clutch end cap on the shaft. The retaining ring fits into the end cap counterbore shown in above picture. 

10 hours ago, mike_sdak said:

By the way, is there a way to lessen the force needed for moving the lever?

The force is due to the spring load and the disengagement mechanism. In the operators manual, the PTO is to be adjusted so there is 1/8" travel from engagement to disengement.

4 hours ago, Bill725 said:

The retaining ring locates the PTO clutch end cap on the shaft. The retaining ring fits into the end cap counterbore shown in above picture. 

Edit: Upon looking at the pics posted below by @Bill725 and thinking about it more, the following is incorrect:

I don't agree.  The end cap counterbore bottoms out on "step" at the end of the BGB cross shaft. It can be seen in Mike's pic from above:

image.png.f695100248c33f34ff7a8cb7cd346899.png

Edit: I think this is still correct:

The snap ring should be in a retaining area in the end of the pulley:

image.png.d59bfffeea4a9081b68e9148d1fa2037.png

From the install section:

image.png.2150b30577a675ef813b1a4e0f5de35b.png

Edit:  Going to get some spare parts and check out how this exactly works.  ATM I'm thinking the pulley just holds the snap ring in place until the cone cap is bolted on and pushes the pulley back.  So in operation, the pulley should never touch the snap ring.  Need parts in hand.

Edited by PhanDad
Edited 3 places for correctness

12 hours ago, mike_sdak said:

The repair manual describes PTO repair procedure, with step 6 calling for removal of the adjacent pulley assembly. Is this necessary to have enough room for the clamp?

It's been awhile since I last removed a cone clutch assembly.  If I remember correctly to completely remove the assembly, the adjacent pulley assembly has to come off, but I don't remember what it interferes with.

If you can get the clamp on the pulley and compress it, I see no reason to remove the adjacent pulley assembly.  

By the way, is there a way to lessen the force needed for moving the lever? Mine takes a fair amount of effort.

I could be the pulley is slightly cocked since the snap ring is partly out of the groove.  Or lack of shaft/pulley lubrication?  Once the ring is back where it belongs, see if the force is more reasonable.  If it isn't, you could consider removing the entire assembly and clean up/lube the sliding areas.  But getting that key out can be a real PIA.  

I think I'll try the leather and 2 part epoxy in the interest of time and money, unless that is best avoided altogether.

Not going to use the cap from the 712?

Let us know how it turns out. 

@Bill725,

Very interesting.  I now believe I'm incorrect in what I posted above.  (Above edited )

I'm going to have to investigate further to increase my knowledge.  

Unfortunately I'll probably forget the new knowledge down the road.

Edited by PhanDad
General edit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Fellas, I'm finally getting around to doing this. The retaining ring was indeed damaged, and I will try to salvage the one off the parts tractor. By the way, I believe the retaining ring functions to prevent the nut from being over tightened on assembly.

what is the best way to remove and reinstall the retaining ring? Should I use a small screwdriver?

1 hour ago, mike_sdak said:

what is the best way to remove and reinstall the retaining ring? Should I use a small screwdriver?

This is the tool that @dave45056 recommended highly:

605faa084d720_CirclipPliers.JPG.7542316b16bc5c0de8ac956250ec4dfc.JPG

They work well, but aren't cheap.

Before I got the above tool, I used a combo of an awl and small screw drivers to remove/install the retaining rings.  

So I did swap the clutch cone and retaining ring from the parts tractor.  It went together pretty well.   I also adjusted the PTO travel.  I was able to remove the retaining ring with a screwdriver.

It tills great!  Thanks for the help,

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mike_sdak said:

So I did swap the clutch cone and retaining ring from the parts tractor.  It went together pretty well.   I also adjusted the PTO travel.  I was able to remove the retaining ring with a screwdriver.

It tills great!  Thanks for the help,

Good to hear you are up and running! 

• Like 1