Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help for broke sickle bar

poolshark

Have a few questions on my sickle bar, only numbers I can find are stamped on the cast iron piece, #101100, can anyone identify this sickle bar? theres a threaded rod, I broke it, and need to know the spacing between the two rod ends, Also the knifes move freely in the mid of the stroke, but bind at the ends of the stroke, is this norm and do you adjust for a shorter stroke? Or did I bend something, also theres a clamp holding the knifes down, these clamps are wearing a bad grove on top of the knifes, are you using a nylon wear piece or is there a adjustment for this? Bar appears to be strait, nothing is noticeable why it would bind. A/C Big Ten, I can e-mail pics to anyone that can help Thanks Randy Powers

The original crankshaft to rocker arm pitman arm shown as broke in the picture above consists of a clevis assembly (part no. 101104) and a 1/2"-20NF "male" threaded rod end (part no. 101106) with a hex nut (used for locking purposes) in between. I think the parts are no longer available. The male rod end is the same as used for the rocker arm to sickle bar pitman arm. The picture above looks like there is a "female" rod end. You can either purchase a male rod end from your local bearing supplier or try to use the existing female rod end with a stud or threaded rod. Adjust the length of the crankshaft to rocker arm pitman arm so the rocker arm assembly is pointed straight forward with the crankshaft at the center of its stroke. Then adjust the rocker arm to sickle bar pitman arm so the sickle sections are centered over their respected rockguard. Because your sickle bar is painted yellow it is an Allis-Chalmers brand. But for informational purposes, the mfg. no. of the Simplicity 725 tractor 46" sickle bar is 990210, which I believe is the same. You may want to use this mfg. no. in order to check on parts availability and belts. If you are interested in converting your sicklebar from 2" (no longer available) to standard 3" sickle components, see my article in the DIY section. If you have any further questions, please contact me. Bill

Hate to disagree with Bill, but the sickle on eBay right now is a #990210. Notice the differences in the housing? Most people believe the 2" knives and rock guards are no longer available. They aren't from Simplicity, and Haban is out of business. However, I have a source. They're expensive, but available.

The number you found is only a casting number. Your sickle is probably a #990xxx. Replace the xxx with 210, 346, 402, 465, 538, 548, 623, or 687. Look up the manual at Simplicity Publications. The knife bar should slide smoothly. The "binding" at the end of the stroke is probably worn linkage going "over center", or maybe something is bent. As for the wear groves on the knives, sounds like your sickle has just been well used over the years. You'll probably find other worn components once you get into it. Parts for these are hard to locate and usually expensive when you find them. If you need a sickle, it may be cheaper to buy another and use yours for parts.

pic of the sickle bar http://a7.cpimg.com/image/C3/79/10026947-0a3a-02000180-.jpg

wearing a bad grove on top of the knifes from the clamp http://a8.cpimg.com/image/C4/79/10026948-e15a-02000180-.jpg

another pic to help identify http://a0.cpimg.com/image/34/7D/10027060-f685-02000180-.jpg

It's NOT a 990210. Could be any of the other numbers (I think the others are all about the same). Hard to tell from the pix whether the "worn" knife is just shiny or badly worn and/or if the hold down is worn (the tip is broke off). Get some rivets and swap knife with one that isn't worn. Assembly looks complete. You just need to check each component for wear. Can't really tell from photos.

While we got a post going on sickle mowers, the leaves and rocks and ice melted off the one I got last oct and Î noticed the pulley on the pitman crank is gone, what size is this to be. Mine is the type 2 with cable lift..MPH