Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New member, need a little help with my first AC

Fordman17

Hello all, Im new here and new to the wonderful world of Allis Chalmers tractors. Ive had and restored several garden tractors in the past, But this is my first AC. 

This tractor appears to be a Allis Chalmers B-207e it is missing some parts but i did manage to get it running and moving though not very well. It will not go up hill as the belt is slipping so bad. Im guessing this pulley pictured is why, shouldnt there be a spring to tension this? Does anyone have a pic of a complete unit? Im missing some other parts as well and I will be starting a want ad as soon as I learn how to navigate the site better. As of now I just want to get it driving better. Also, is this coil setup stock or someones fix? And would anyone off hand happen to know the drive belt sizes? Any help is appriciated. Thanks!!

20200617_181748.jpg

20200617_181801.jpg

20200617_183321.jpg

I couldn't fine anything on the B-207 but the Simplicity 707 at least has the same motor (sort of) and it does have a spring tensioner on the idler pulley.  It looks like a previous owner converted it to an automotive coil system to replace the magneto.  

pulley.png

Edited by wwbragg
picture
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, wwbragg said:

I couldn't fine anything on the B-207 but the Simplicity 707 at least has the same motor (sort of) and it does have a spring tensioner on the idler pulley.  It looks like a previous owner converted it to an automotive coil system to replace the magneto.  

pulley.png

Thanks, I was refrencing this pulley here. It appears part 22 is a spring to hold tension as I assumed. 

I also suspected that the coil was a fix from the previous owner, as nothing seems to fit quite right. There was just the holder for the coil when I got it, I happened to have a coil and the rest of the parts to make it work. It runs ok for now but as I restore it I want to put it back factory. Thanks for the help!!

Screenshot_20200617-225721_Chrome~2.jpg

• Like 1

On second thought, maybe you are looking at the PTO pulley.  But it also has a spring tensioner. See inside the GREEN circle.  But going up hill would not be affected by a loose PTO pulley.

You posted while I was writing.  I agree

pulley.png

Edited by wwbragg

No, its the drive pulley back to the trans. This should be the same as my Simp 707. I can take pics this weekend.

• Like 1

@dhoadley is right.  The longer belt DOES run the transmission (not the PTO) and WOULD be affected by the loose idler shown in the GREEN or YELLOW circles above.  

11 hours ago, Fordman17 said:

I also suspected that the coil was a fix from the previous owner, as nothing seems to fit quite right. There was just the holder for the coil when I got it, I happened to have a coil and the rest of the parts to make it work. It runs ok for now but as I restore it I want to put it back factory.

I'm sure the Briggs engine used to have a magneto coil under the tin.  It may still be under there.  Many have converted old Briggs engines to external coil ignition to avoid messing under the tin.  The issue will be can you find a replacement mag coil.  

I'm doubting there's a replacement "Magnatron" coil for that engine that would eliminate the need for points (and a re-polarization of the flywheel).  

Welcome to the club.  Your tractor looks to be in great shape, especially "cosmetically".  From what you've said so far, maybe not so much mechanically.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wwbragg said:

@dhoadley is right.  The longer belt DOES run the transmission (not the PTO) and WOULD be affected by the loose idler shown in the GREEN or YELLOW circles above.  

Today I added a spring as shown and it drives much better, I also did some much needed carb adjustment and got it running and moving great. I still have yet to do a full carb tear down and get it running perfect. Thanks for the help.

20200618_121639.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhanDad said:

I'm sure the Briggs engine used to have a magneto coil under the tin.  It may still be under there.  Many have converted old Briggs engines to external coil ignition to avoid messing under the tin.  The issue will be can you find a replacement mag coil.  

I'm doubting there's a replacement "Magnatron" coil for that engine that would eliminate the need for points (and a re-polarization of the flywheel).  

Welcome to the club.  Your tractor looks to be in great shape, especially "cosmetically".  From what you've said so far, maybe not so much mechanically.  

I pulled the tin on my initial inspection of the machine, and indeed there is a place for one, that being said I assumed it was a fix from the previous owner but thought ot was possible that it could have been an AC thing.

It is in very good shape as far as the "body" goes, no rust and very straight. I can't wait to dig into restoring it. Here is a pic of the last tractor I restored, a 1974 Jacobsen GT-14. 

20200618_123135.jpg

• Like 2