Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity History

Les

Simpletractors is the best tractor site on the net, and one of the best sites overall in terms of the amount of information provided. Many thanks to Kent for all of his hard work!! If there is anything missing, it is a comprehensive history of the make, focusing on the different models of tractors and when they were made. I intend to compose such a history but I need help. I am well versed in the early beginnings(i.e. Turner Mfg), as well as the Allis product line. I need help in the following areas: Simplicity model numbers and years made, any information on walkers, and what years Wards and Homelite tractors were made. It would also be nice to have pictures of the 50th and 75th anniversary models as well as a picture of the first 4 wheeled model and pictures of a walker. Thanks for your help. Lets all help keep this great website going strong!

I have a VB Walker, and am in the processing of repainting it. I have soeveral brochures for walkers and the entire Simplicity line from the late 50's. I would be glad to send you some copies if you are interested....let me know. Kent also has some brochures from a Ward's catalog with walking tractors information and pictures. Iain McCowan

My first encounter with a Simplicity was in 1946 . This came about because our old horse ,'Ned' had a bad case of the 'tramps' .He would try to relieve his itching back foot by tramping on the ground. This time he did it in/on the strawberry patch .

My sister ,put her proverbial foot down---"the horse has to go !".
So an order went in to the mail-order, T. Eaton Company of Canada .There was a 1 1/2 hp and a 8 hp model available. Finances at the time--the small one arrived . Being the youngest boy,and eighth in a series of nine, --I got to run the thing. The only attachment we got was the cultivator.
I often wished for the 8hp model ,because the thing was rather useless ,trying to work hard,dried out Sask. prarrie soil (like rock). The pushing I did was more effective than the horse and a half.

Evenually ,I put the connecting rod through the front of it and so it died an ignominious death .

I always dreamed of the 8hp model, and in 1969 ,I bought one c/w snowblower,disc and plow all for $80.00.
'still have it and it still works (a little creative welding here and there . But this is another story- If anyone wants to hear it .

I, too, would be interested in the walk-behind tractor information. My dad is working on a Model D. There seems to be a lot of tractors, but not a lot of documentation.

What I think we need is model designations and the years produced, for instance maybe the "L" walker was introduced in 1954 or something and made through 1962 or whatever. The first rider was introduced in 1939, but what was it? When did the first 4 wheel tractor appear and what was it? This is the kind of information I think we need.

I have sent some things to Kent and he has posted it and he is working on more and just to see how far I can pudh his "red line " more is in the mail tomorrow.
Some of the info goes back to late fifties. To find earlier information gets to be harder, because 40+ years ago info is just hard to find and manufactures aren't required by law to keep info much over ten years. I just stumble on to it by rummage sales, auction and what have. It is certainly nice to have but again hard to get

I have sent some things to Kent and he has posted it and he is working on more and just to see how far I can push his "red line " more is in the mail tomorrow.
Some of the info goes back to late fifties. To find earlier information gets to be harder, because 40+ years ago info is just hard to find and manufactures aren't required by law to keep info and parts much over ten years and most dealers don't have room to store that kind of info. I just stumble on to it by rummage sales, auction and what have you. It is certainly nice to have but again hard to get