Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
AC710

Screechy SG

AC710

The Starter Generator on my 7016 emits a high pitched screech when first turning on the key to start. I don't know if this is the belt slipping (it's new) or some other issue. It only lasts for an instant and everything else seems normal. The belt is tight. I thought the pros here probably have heard this before. Thanks

AC710
9 hours ago, wwbragg said:

Rub some bar soap inside the belt.

I would think "a little dab'l do ya" for that approach, especially if it gets wet. The whole starter/generator thing is new to me and so much different than the gear starters I am used to. I do like it, though, now that I have it working  properly with a new regulator and correct wiring.

I think I am done with Spring projects until the next big wind storm. The tractors got a workout pulling roots, earthcavator leveling, tiller, tine dethatcher (works great for grass seeding prep) and hauling many loads of limbs and brush to the landfill. 4 big spruce trees went down in a big storm in late May.

here is my latest project - acquired yesterday from the recycle pile for free. I want to make it into a raft trailer for my zodiac-type boat.

boat trailer.jpg

• Like 1

wwbragg
1 hour ago, AC710 said:

especially if it gets wet

I can't imagine that this would be an issue.  Just hold a bar of soap up to the belt while it is turning.  It adds a little stick-em to the belt and will reduce the squeal.  You're not using enough to make suds.  Or you could get a can of belt dressing ($10.00).  

I like your new project, though.  I always wanted and invisible boat.

AC710
2 hours ago, wwbragg said:

I always wanted and invisible boat.

In this hare-brained scheme, the trailer gets carried on the back of the other trailer in the pic and the boat gets carried uninflated in the tow vehicle pickup - to avoid doubling trailers. The boat trailer can be used to launch and store the boat at camp or independently.

boat.jpg

spi
5 hours ago, wwbragg said:

You'd be like wonder woman with her invisible airplane

I like your new project, though.  I always wanted and invisible boat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1