Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Screechy SG

AC710

The Starter Generator on my 7016 emits a high pitched screech when first turning on the key to start. I don't know if this is the belt slipping (it's new) or some other issue. It only lasts for an instant and everything else seems normal. The belt is tight. I thought the pros here probably have heard this before. Thanks

9 hours ago, wwbragg said:

Rub some bar soap inside the belt.

I would think "a little dab'l do ya" for that approach, especially if it gets wet. The whole starter/generator thing is new to me and so much different than the gear starters I am used to. I do like it, though, now that I have it working  properly with a new regulator and correct wiring.

I think I am done with Spring projects until the next big wind storm. The tractors got a workout pulling roots, earthcavator leveling, tiller, tine dethatcher (works great for grass seeding prep) and hauling many loads of limbs and brush to the landfill. 4 big spruce trees went down in a big storm in late May.

here is my latest project - acquired yesterday from the recycle pile for free. I want to make it into a raft trailer for my zodiac-type boat.

boat trailer.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AC710 said:

especially if it gets wet

I can't imagine that this would be an issue.  Just hold a bar of soap up to the belt while it is turning.  It adds a little stick-em to the belt and will reduce the squeal.  You're not using enough to make suds.  Or you could get a can of belt dressing ($10.00).  

I like your new project, though.  I always wanted and invisible boat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wwbragg said:

I always wanted and invisible boat.

In this hare-brained scheme, the trailer gets carried on the back of the other trailer in the pic and the boat gets carried uninflated in the tow vehicle pickup - to avoid doubling trailers. The boat trailer can be used to launch and store the boat at camp or independently.

boat.jpg

5 hours ago, wwbragg said:

You'd be like wonder woman with her invisible airplane

I like your new project, though.  I always wanted and invisible boat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, wwbragg said:

I can't imagine that this would be an issue. 

It's not a REAL issue...just brings up mental images.

wash machine.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2020 at 10:45 PM, wwbragg said:

Rub some bar soap inside the belt.

What would be proper soap to use? Deodorant? Facial soap that is 97% face cream? Abrasive like Lava? Hypoallergenic?sm03sm06

44 minutes ago, MrSteele said:

What would be proper soap to use? Deodorant? Facial soap that is 97% face cream? Abrasive like Lava? Hypoallergenic?sm03sm06

To make sure you use the correct soap, you should book an appointment with your tractor's dermatologist. 

Using the wrong soap could cost you more $$$ in the long run.  Complexion treatments are expensive.  

• Haha 4

• 5 weeks later...

Getting a start on the invisible boat (trailer) project. So far have replaced a tire, put on a new fender, repacked wheel bearings - seals were blown out with bearing buddies -  aligned wheels, straightened struts, replaced some worn structural bolts and done general cleanup. Now it mostly needs paint and a boat-mounting structure. It definitely needed TLC, but is not in bad shape for a throw-away.

I also built and installed removable launch wheels on the boat so I can haul it in my pickup when towing the camp trailer. Set up at the campsite

boat wheels.jpg

boat trailer 2.jpg

• Like 1