Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

JOHNNY BUCKET

JOHNP

You probably got that "impression" from the "foot draggin'" crowd bragging on how superior their machines are. All my "running board" tractors have front down pressure. Here's another tip..... If your tractor is equipped with a rear lift, you may be able to re-route the cable and add a counter weight to make operating the JohnnyBucket even easier. Ah, my garden........ Wife is involved now. I know I can earn enough $$$ bending rusty metal to buy something to eat from a farmer.

DUTCH, THANKS FOR THE REPLY. AM HEADED FOR THE BARN AND WILL CHECK THIS OUT RIGHT NOW. GARDEN ???? MINES FLOODED WITH (YUK) SEPTIC JUICE ....MAYBE I'LL NOT HAVE ONE THIS YEAR. WELD SOME IRON AND A FRIENDLY FARMER WILL GIVE YOU SOME VEGGIES IN EXCHANGE. JOHNP

WELL, I JUST CAME BACK FROM THE BARN AND BOY DO I FEEL STUPID. IT WAS SO OBVIOUS THAT I HAD DOWN PRESS. THAT I'M ASHAMED OF MYSELF. THE REASON I FELT I HAD NONE IS BECAUSE I RECENTLY BOUGHT A 46" SNOW/DOZER BLADE (NEVER USED,$70.00 INC. ALL HARDWARE) AND I FIGURED THAT IF I PLACED A BLOCK UNDER THE BLADE IN THE UP POSITION, THAT I SHOULD BE ABLE TO TELL, BY PUSHING THE LEVER FORWARD. DUUUUH. I FAILED TO OBSERVE THAT THE LIFT ROD HAS A SLIP COLLAR ON IT WHICH PERMITS THE RAM TO GO FORWARD WHILE SLIPPING DOWN THE LIFT ROD. WELL, I'M LEARNING. JOHNP

John, Do you have hydraulic or electric lift? If hydraulic, you should be fine, regardless of whether you have down-pressure... I don't know if the electric lift would stand up to the stresses involved in repeatedly lifting 200 lbs plus on the front... Johnny Buckets aren't really intended to "dig with", rather to scoop up, transport and spread loose material. Spreading pea gravel shouldn't be a problem -- though it would give your arms a real workout without hydraulic lift. If you're going to dig, though, you'll need to loosen the soil first somehow... The reason I could "slice off" the grade so readily was because I was doing it on a hillside with the bucket tripped. The bucket is designed to go 1" below grade when it isn't tripped, so you'd just be barely slicing a layer off. But, in comparison the L-12 loader only went 1-1/2" below grade so it wasn't much better for digging. Over the weekend, I just tilled up my front lawn, then regraded and levelled it with the Johnny Bucket, moving dirt around. Of course with my luck it started raining before I could get it sowed on Sunday and hasn't stopped since.... Also, John Scheele is just back to working on adding 1-1/2" wide "rippers" to his Johnny Box counterweight, using cultivator "shoes." They should dig about 4" deep when the weight box is down. He emailed me about it Sunday. I guess you guys must have had him really hopping with Johnny Bucket orders... Dutch had a great tip on the counterweight -- see if you can re-route the rear lift cable so that it moves the same as the front lift rod, then put a counterweight on your rear hitch... I understand that on the "running board" tractors you pulled back on the manual lift lever to lift a rear attachment, the same as lifting a front attachment. On the older ones that used lift rods, you'd push the lift lever forward to lift a rear attachment -- that's how it would need to work for the counterweight to function. Otherwise, you'd be trying to lift both the front attachment and the counterweight at once. I'd be interested to know if re-routing the cable could be easily done... Kent aka, the "foot-dragging" clubhouse custodian...

KENT, IT'S HYD. NOT ELECTRIC. I WON'T BE DOING MUCH "DIGGING" BUT MORE MOVING LOOSE MATERIAL AS I WILL HAVE THIS DUMPED NEAR MY WORK AREA. DUTCH, THE COUNTER MAKES A LOT OF SENSE AND I'M GOING TO ASSEMBLE A CABLE/PULLY SO AS NOT TO PULL AGAINST ONE ANOTHER THEN I CAN USE THE 80# BLOCK OF IRON THAT HAS BEEN SITTING AROUND FOR YEARS. NOW YOU'VE GOT ME 'ITCHIN TO GET ON IT. JOHNP

Question? When you're running hydraulic lift off the the hydro transmission, does the tractor need to be moving in order for the lift to work? Obviously, it wouldn't work if the tractor is clutched since the hydro pulley wouldn't be turning, but what if the control lever is in "neutral?" I honestly don't know... With the old ones like mine with a separate pump, as long as the engine is running, you have hydraulic lift...

Kent, With RBTs (Running Board Tractors), as long as the engine is running and the clutch is engaged there is hydro pressure (moving or not). Must admit I'd rather have hydro pressure whether the clutch was engaged or not. But, that's a small price to pay for the benefit of running boards. John, Seems to me there was a book, "The grass is always greener over the cesspool." Your garden should do better than usual.

I believe you can do it the lift shaft has a cam bracket on it. Your cable for the rear lift goes though the pully and to the conection point. if you run it though the pully and up and over this cam bracket and rehook in the same place your rear lift should go down when the front comes up. Instead of hooking the cable on the rear side of the bracket you would be hooking it from the front side of it. I might be wrong but look at it. This & $1.00 might get you a small coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Dutch - you're right about greener. I have a 2400 SF leach field for my septic system. 8 fingers, 100 feet long each, each "count" as 3' wide. Grass grows like nothing I ever seen in that area. When it's really dry late in the summer I can readily see each finger because they're green while the rest of the yard is brown. Brent

Dutch- Maybe I ought to load up all my extra running boards and bring em' to Rhinelander for those who are jealous of our quality RBT's. They could then pretend they have the real thing..................... Whadda ya think?? LOL

Sam, Protect your sterling reputation. You know running boards alone do not an RBT make. Need all the other new, improved, neat stuff. If the "foot draggin'" crowd is happy, leave them be. What's the expression, "Ignorance is bliss" ?

MEN, I PUT OUT A QUESTION RE. DOWN PRESSURE AND GOT A RESPONSE THAT NOT ONLY SOLVED MY DELEMA BUT ENTERTAINED ME . YOU ARE A GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS. I NOW KNOW THAT MY JOHNNY BUCKET WILL HAUL MY 20 LB. TOMATOS TO THE BARN.....THEY MIGHT STINK BUT....WHATEVER. JOHNP

MEN, I PUT OUT A QUESTION RE. DOWN PRESSURE AND GOT A RESPONSE THAT NOT ONLY SOLVED MY DELEMA BUT ENTERTAINED ME . YOU ARE A GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS. I NOW KNOW THAT MY JOHNNY BUCKET WILL HAUL MY 20 LB. TOMATOS TO THE BARN.....THEY MIGHT STINK BUT....WHATEVER. JOHNP

I'm with Kent. Being able to get a foot to the ground to prevent a tip-over has saved me many times. Flatlander must be the key word. Probably not any hills in N.J. Roy ;o)

Sam, The question that immediately comes to mind is -- if they are so desirable, and the tractors are so great, how did you accumulate so many running boards? Seems to me that either the tractors would still be in service, or people would have bought them up from you if they're so great.... I've got a pair of running boards off a 7016 lying in the barn that I haven't thought of a good use for... and haven't gotten around to throwing them in the metal bin at the dump..... Kent P.S. I had an experience Saturday that made me appreciate not having them on my tractor again. I was tilling around a slight slope in my front yard when the tiller hit an old granite hitching post buried in the ground. It kicked the tractor up on its two, down-slope wheels (even though I have loaded ag tires and 50-lb wheel weights on each rear wheel) and pushed the tractor forward a few feet. I don't know how close I came to putting the tractor on its side, but I quickly put my foot down and made sure it didn't happen... What can I say, flat-landers liked farm tractors with tricycle wheels, and not a few of them died on them... or should I say, under them....

Roy, I know you and Kent are friends, so I don't know if your just agreeing out of respect. But, if your serious my offer's still open to take that "dangerous" Sovereign off your hands. There aren't many hills in NJ, but we also pull out granite hitching posts, old stolen car engines, 55 gal. drums of toxic waste, and dead bodies before we till.

Dutch, I'll concede that you "Jerseyites" probably have a WHOLE lot of experience with buried toxic waste drums, dead bodies, and stolen car parts -- but the granite hitching posts were a bit of a surprise to me... Learn something new every day! Kent P.S. All I found were 2 chunks of granite (including the hitching post), lots of bricks, surprisingly few rocks, and a huge cylindrical chunk of concrete that must have been the base for either a lamp post or a flag pole....

Kent, All teasing aside, I'll be fair to you and the rest of the "Foot Draggers Brigade". I like both, but for different uses. I like to be a foot dragger when I'm tilling so I can see bricks and other things better under the tractor before I hit them with the tiller. I also like to be a Foot Dragger when hauling the cart around the yard and doing alot of "on and off again" work. But, I Like putting my feet up when it comes to the long haul of mowing grass as I like being able to alternate the position of my long legs from time to time. I also prefer having my feet up clear when using a blade, johnny bucket, and the grader blade. Rather have the stirrups to stand on than just the edge of the blade. Overall I still prefer the 900 series with the hydro lift and hyrdro tranny, but with the exception of the HB 116. Being a hybrid it seems to stand equally prefered to me. Kind of the best of both worlds. Another quick note is that I also prefer the RBT tractors for my sons to use for safetys sake, and I think that is self explanitory......................

KENT.........OR ANY-ONE ELSE WHO HAS USED THE JOHNNY BUCKET, I AM CURRENTLY RE-DOING MY SEPTICS LEACH FIELD. THIS WILL INVOLVE QUITE A FEW LOADS OF PEA GRAVEL AS WELL AS A LOT TOP SOIL TO BRING THINGS BACK TO NORMAL. ON YOUR REVIEW OF THE BUCKET, IT HAS CONVINCED ME THAT THIS IS THE WAY TO GO, BUT, I DON'T HAVE "DOWN" PRESSURE. I'LL BE PUTTING THIS ON A 7116H AND WANT TO KNOW IF THE LACK OF DOWN PRESSURE WILL EFFECT THE UTILITY OF THE BUCKET. PLAN ON ORDERING THIS ITEM SOON IF THEIR IS NO NEGATIVE RESPONSES. JOHNP

Why don't you believe you have down pressure on a 7116H? The cylinder is connected directly to the lift cross shaft. The cross shaft arm on the right side will transfer both up & down pressure. Connect a lift rod to the JohnnyBucket and you'll have both up & down pressure. The newer tractors (running board type) don't have down pressure to rear attachments because the lift is connected by cable. Even that draw-back can be overcome with some "creative" engineering.

DUTCH, MY IGNORANCE IS SHOWING HERE. I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT I HAD UP PRESSURE BUT DOWN WAS GRAVITY. AM I WRONG ON THIS ? HOPE SO. BTW... RESOLVE YOUR GARDEN ISSUE ? JOHNP

All this talk about dragging reminded me about the friendly joking we did in the Coast Guard 20 years ago. The engineers would joke with deck force (mainly the boatswain mates) that in order to become a boatswain your knuckles had to drag the ground. I have two foot dragging tractors myself and two "foot-up" tractors. John H

• 1 month later...
You guys had said that the Johnny Bucket wasn't good for "digging into the ground. I am going to attempt to put in a ton of patio stones under my deck this summer. I have to dig 6-8" down into the great Michigan clay to get ready to put the base layer down. Then I have to go through and add the two different layers of gravel/sand. I'm not sure what attachment would be best for my 2110 Landlord to accomplish this. Now I'm really wishing with this, but I would also like to have something flexible enough for snow since I can probably afford only one attachment. Any suggestions for digging rather than the Johnny bucket?

Kent, being a footdragger from day one of my tractoring I must addmit them running boards on the 4040 came in handy the other day when I was pushing rocks around, I came upon a shackle bolt and straps cut off the semi trailer last oct and when I picked it up I had a handy place for it to ride while I finished my work, they ain't all bad...MPH

I have the JBJr. and electric lift on my 3310. This is the last series made with a lift that counter-balances, if I'm not mistaken. I made an extension for my factory counterweight to get more leverage in countering a full bucket. I also ended up using one, then two collar weights at various points trying to find the best combination. You are correct in stating that the electric lift strains with an un-countered full bucket. I discovered that if you counterweight too much, the lift will strain trying to lower the bucket(and lift the counterweight). I was moving soil out of the flower bed and raising the front yard, so I set up the JBJ. at 2" over the ground at full lift. Each successive pass got dumped at the edge of the dropoff from the prior dump. I was making a continuous loop and moving a lot of material. . I had tilled the bed before starting, but when I got down a ways I switched tactics and used the bottom plow to loosen the soil. The JBJr. then worked just fine scooping and moving. Once I hit the sand layer, I was scraping some off the top on every pass. Alass, things started breaking and I'm still in the process of making it right.... maybe you've seen the posts?